This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9548 December 26th, 2002 at 06:00 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I have never tried to grow this particular plant until this past spring, mostly because everything I had ever read said it would not do well in my zone 6 garden. I found a cultivar (whose name escapes me at the moment) at a local nursery that is supposed to survive here. It thrived nicely in a part sun location in my front garden, but now that it has turned cold, the foliage has withered and died. Am I to assume it is like most hardy perennials that lose their foliage in winter and regrow in spring? I really hope it makes it because it is such a beautiful plant. Any suggestions about its care will be appreciated.

#9549 January 7th, 2003 at 07:54 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Now that is one cool plant! Sure would not grow here in zone 3. Actually, the Acanthus or Bear's breeches in more suited to warmer climates....zone 8 - 10, but there is one that is for zone 5 - 9. The Acanthus spinosus. It is a clump forming perennial that grows to about 3 feet. If this is the one you have, then it just might come back in the spring as long as the roots have not been damaged. It should be grown in ordinary garden soil, in sun or partial shade. They are known to be bothered by powdery mildew and leaf spot may be a problem. I hope it comes back in the spring.

Good luck
Barb barbsblooms@shaw.ca

Link Copied to Clipboard