This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95457 December 29th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
B
bjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I rescued an almost dead angel winged begonia from work about a year ago. It is now so large and healthy that I have pruned it back to a more manageable size. My question is how to get it to bloom? I know that the flowers are considered "insignificant", but I think that they are beautiful and graceful, and really would like to be successful with a full display of its beauty. The leaves are slightly ruffled in the edges, large, green spotted with white, and red on the undersides. Does anyone know the secret to inducing blooming?

#95458 December 29th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
BJames,
What kind of soil do you have your plant in/?

And have you used any type's of fertilizer's???

#95459 December 30th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
james, most angelwings need a "dormant" period, then bloom when they come back in the spring. you probably got yours just as it was going dorman.

#95460 January 8th, 2007 at 04:09 AM
Do you have a picture of your angelwing?If I fertilize mine regularly..It will bloom pretty steady,I useually slack off in winter cause the blooms are lighter color& drop off more easy.you can add a time release fertilizer and water with peters and should start blooming.Mine sits on North side of porch all summer.Right now its in a corner in kitchen on bar stool.Its grown as tall as 12 ft,but is hard to move when that tall.Its about 5-6 ft right now.I get snapped by wind at least once a summer& its in a 15 gallon pot.
I have photos in yahoo.click below.

#95461 January 8th, 2007 at 05:09 AM
T
T
My angelwing and dragonwing begonias bloom sparingly in the winter. I have mine near a west window and they only need to be watered once a week. Watering them too much in the winter tends to rot them. Once I move them out in the summer-on the north side of my house-they are all blooming like crazy within a week. I replace half the soil at the beginning of the summer and mix in time release fertilizer, and they're good to go.
Hope this helps.
teech

#95462 January 8th, 2007 at 06:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cool! i always thought they had to go dormant, 'cause that's what gramma always did. and her's were beautiful

#95463 January 9th, 2007 at 09:17 AM
I used to have one, in the east window, and it got afternoon sun......

Guess it died ?

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard