This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95436 February 6th, 2007 at 09:45 PM
OP Offline
I need some help with this plant. It was bought last summer at Walmart and was doing GREAT with lots of FAST new growth until recently... I moved it and forgot about it, so I think it may have gotten too dry... then again, maybe it wasn't getting as much sun, etc.

It started feeling very "rubbery" to the touch on it's stems (it had been more rigid, not so floppy before.) Also, I watered it well, and put it where it would get some indirect sun (more than it was getting, but not enough to burn it! (It's actually in a terrarium that has no bottom, so it's not in too much humidity. And it did even worse!! It started dropping leaves and the bigger leaves started getting big brown spots like it was rotting!!

Can anyone identify it and tell me what I might be able to do to save it?? It's the one on the left, not the nerve plant.
[Linked Image]

Also, I recently bought this cute little fern at Home Depot. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?? It's getting some late sun now, but I think it might need to be moved to someplace a little dimmer...
[Linked Image]

One more before I go...
I bought this one at Target exactly a year ago in one of those little 4" pots- it had about 3 leaves and was tiny! It took over the pot and I put it in this one, where it has new growth almost constantly! I took it down a few days ago to water it and realized that it was propped up against the wall and was starting to trail or "vine" to my surprise!! The "vine" part broke off, so I looked up what it might be and decided that it must be an arrowhead plant. Is this right?? I have the broken piece in water (I cut the stem to be diagonal first.) Will it really root? It looks a bit droopy to me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you all so much!! As you can see, I'm bored. I'm buried under about 6" of snow here today!!

wavey The first one looks to be a variegted Peperomia obtusifolia I think Duh I have the all green one that gets some sun (south window) and watered when dry. The variegated one will do well if it gets a little more sun to keep the colors bright. Same watering care as the green.

The ferm you have is just beautiful! cool I also love the pot you have it in. Unfortunatly, I don't know the name of it.
Ferns can take a "little bit" of late sun without any problems, the rest of the time bright indirect.Mine gets some late sun as it goes down. Just make sure it's a little on the moist side at all times and it should be ok.

Yep, the third one is an arrowhead vine (Syngonium) If I let mine go wild, it will grow out over the sides of the pot and send out roots right into the carpet!And boy let me tell ya, those roots where dug right in. I had to really pull them to get them out of the fibers!!!
To get pieces or stems to root, look for those little air roots or bumps near the bottom part of the stem, those will send out longer roots. I'm not sure a stem will root or not without them.

I hope you find out the name of your pretty fern!

smile

OP Offline
Thank you!

After doing some internet searching, it appears that I do have a verigated Peperomia obtusifolia! Hopefully now I can figure out how to nurse it back to health. frown I sat it under my grow lamp for the night, hoping that would perk it up a bit... we'll see.

As for the fern, I still can't figure it out.. it is precious though! I couldn't resist it. I've had it for about a month and it came from Home Depot. The pot came from Walmart at the end of last summer when they put them on clearance.

LOL- I checked the Arrowhead vine to see if any of those "nodes" you mentioned were actually in the water and guess what? It's been in water for about 4 days and already is sprouting 4 roots! I was shocked!! Looks like I will have another after all. Thanks for telling me that about the carpet- I'll keep it out of reach of anything it can grow into!!

'Manda

I'm not sure, but I may have found out what your fern's name is. Duh
Possibly a Lemon Button Fern (Nephrolepis cordifolia Duffii)Whatever it is I love it!

Does this look like it?

Fern

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
don't know what type of fern it is...i think downtoearth nailed it tho smile

i've got the same pepperomia - i keep it on the stand under the light which is set to mimic actual daylight (on at sunrise and off at sunset). i water it weekly and it's doing okay (i've only had it for a couple of months).

the 'nerve plant' is fittonia - needs to be kept moist. i'm going to put mine in a self-watering pot.

the arrowhead, once it gets going, is an aggressive viner!! and yes, you can root the leaves - with or without those nodes. if you keep it in a more shaded area, it won't be such an aggressive grower...the more sun it gets the more it grows. that's been my experience with them, anyhoo. i've got two types - one has marroonish leaves that eventually turn green and the other has light green leaves.

wavey Joclyn,

That's good to know about the nodes on the arrowhead vine! I wasn't sure because any that I ever rooted alway seemd to have them laugh
I'll have to give it a try without them next time!

Thanks!

OP Offline
Yes, I think it is a lemon button- it looks exactly like that! Once again, you guys are wonderful. Thank you so much for the ID's.
cool
'Manda

It grew in the carpeting!

Whoa!

D
D
Yes, the fern is Nephrolepis Cordifolia (Lemon Buttons). Take good care of it, and it will last forever..... Mine is currently in an 8" basket, and going into a 10" here within a few weeks. They get full, but not terribly 'large.' Mine is in-doors, in moderate, indirect light (8 feet back from a South-facing double patio window, hanging from the ceiling). Be careful of watering it!! It shoud go dry on the surface, but not in the depths, then just water it enough to wet the surface. Too much water and you'll drown it. A good, freely-draining mixture is important. Don't let it soak at all! When you have to water it every day, you're down to a bare root ball, and you'll need to transplant it, and constantly sew the surface with fresh soil until it fills-out again. Not fun; try prevent it. Not one of the easiest ferns to grow, but distinctive, and worth it.

Carly,

Yep, those little roots clamped down into the fibers of the carpet! I had to break a few of the roots to get the long stem loose laugh Part of the plant had crept along the carpet about 5"-6" ft behind the pot it was and back behind other pots.

The Syngonium is in an (10"-11" pot) I think.
Now, I'll cut any stragglers back and re-root the stem(s) back into the pot if any start to hang over the sides too much to avoid that problem again!
Where it thought it was going was beyond me! laugh

Maybe that second one is one of those chinese something or others - I had a small one once but it didn't grow - it just died off on me.

I've got a piece of 'something' growing right now - it's a clipping I took - it looks something like that thing. And it seems to be getting very green.

Only small right now, of course.

Link Copied to Clipboard