This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95428 February 5th, 2007 at 12:29 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I have a ficus that is in a low light corner. From what I've read they like bright lite should I move it or will it be quite all right. It's been with me for almost 6 months and in the same spot for most of that time except when i was on vacation and all my plants were in one room. I even bought it at the grocery store of all places. My winco carries really nice plants. It hasn't shed any more leaves than normal it dries out well and seems to be a very easy going plant.

I was also wondering that since it is still a very young plant only a couple feet tall can I braid it so to speak? will it stay like that of would the stalks grow into one another harming the plant.

#95429 February 5th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if it's been happy where it is, and you want to leave it there because you like it there, it will be fine. if you want to "help" it with a little extra light, you can put a flourescent light (i use the compact flourescents in a lamp) to give it a "boost"

as for the braiding, if you want to braid it while it is pliable, go for it, but if it resists, don't "force" it.

#95430 February 5th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks I read that flourescent lights work just fine but what about halogen lights? I have some of those cute little ones from IKEA that I think would look nice and accentuate the plant. What do u think?

#95431 February 5th, 2007 at 01:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you can't use halogens. they get too hot. way too hot.

#95432 February 5th, 2007 at 02:08 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks I'll see what I can come up with then.

#95433 February 12th, 2007 at 12:25 PM
S
S
Ficus trees will survive for a time in low light, however, eventually they will fall apart. Better to move it to very bright indirect light where the plant will thrive.

#95434 February 12th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
I would gradually to a more bright light spot. Depending on your area- Mine does quite well outside in the summer. thumbup Best of luck to you!!

#95435 February 12th, 2007 at 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
whenever you move a plant to a different lighting situation, it should be done a bit gradually.

for your situation, you can rig up a light and put it on a timer and then gradually increase the time the light is on. start with it on for one hour a day and then every 3-4 days increase it by an hour. once the plant is getting the amount of light it will receive at the new location, you can move it there.

Link Copied to Clipboard