This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95029 February 16th, 2007 at 06:26 PM
cinta Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone growing Hoyas? I would like a suggestions of which one to buy. I would like a easy one that blooms easy and is fragrant.

This winter weather has me needing to buy more flowering houseplants to get my mood going upward.

Also, have anyone brought plants from Secret Garden?

I am full of questions. LOL

#95030 February 16th, 2007 at 07:01 PM
wavey Cinta,

You might like to try H. shepherdii (stringbean hoya) Also H. nummularioides, or H. lacunosa. They are easy bloomers and all have their own very nice fragrance.
The carnosa hoya's can be stubborn bloomer's at times.
Nope, I have not bought any from Secret Garden, mostly they were acquired them from local greenhouses, or online.

grinnnn

#95031 February 17th, 2007 at 12:01 AM
cinta Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you. I read that the carnosa was the easiest. But I thought I would ask a few more people.

I found secretgardenrareplants (Secret Garden) web site have a large selection.

#95032 February 17th, 2007 at 01:41 AM
If you like the compacta (hindu rope carnosa) that one will probably bloom ok for you, the other types of carnosa can hold back.

Some people have taken their carnosa, (out of frustration) and gave it some direct sun to try and get some flowers, it makes the leaves look horrible but you might get some blooms that way if it's not putting out!!!
My tri variegated carnosa didn't want to bloom, or my Krimson queen, so I did the direct sun thing, some of the leaves bleached out, but I got a couple blooms!

#95033 February 17th, 2007 at 01:51 AM
cinta Offline OP
OP Offline
That probably will not work. I live in gloomy cold PA. So not a lot of sun in the winter. I am trying for something that might bloom for me in the Winter.

I put all of my houseplants outside in the summer and they seem to do good through the winter. I am looking for some fragrant blooms for the winter months.

#95034 February 17th, 2007 at 04:37 AM
I have read that H. davidcummingii can bloom in the month of Jan, and I'm sure there are others, just not the ones I have, at least not so far.

Good Luck!

#95035 February 17th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
M
M
My H.lacunosa blooms off and on through out the year, and it smells wonderful! It is a small growing plant; the leaves are <2" long, flowers <2" in diameter, vines <2' long. It grows in a hanging pot in an east window. I recomend this plant. My H.carnosa cv. krimson queen or princess or something like that, is a large growing plant. It's floor to ceiling already and showing no signs of stopping. It has no flower spurs yet, but it's still young. I'm going to hack it all off before I move in July and see what it does then. I got my lacunosa and cv.Matilda from http://www.paulshirleysucculents.nl/ about 2 years ago. Matilda is very nice, too, similar in size to lacunosa in size, but not as flowerful. I think it's going to do something soon, though, as the ends of the flower spurs are starting to swell. Another good hoya site is http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AH.php Good luck!

#95036 February 21st, 2007 at 03:30 AM
cinta Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your help.

Link Copied to Clipboard