This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94967 January 17th, 2007 at 02:48 AM
OP Offline
Ok I'd like to start some seeds. Last yr was my first time at this. I'd like get a better setup. I had a tray of pellets on a shelf and heating pad underneath. That did ok. Then all I had was a clamp on light with grow bulb. As they started to grow and the weather started getting warmer I'd wheel them out side for natural light. The gro bulb wasn't enough. It was incandescent.
Now I'd like to do something better. I found a setup online for about $75. + shipping. Then at Lowes locally I found a set of metal shelves with a plastic covering to get the greenhouse effect. For about $35. The first one comes with a flourescent light, and Lowes item doesnt. But, maybe I could just get a set of those plastic shelves that stack together. That would save a lot of money that I could put in to a flourescent light. They are $13. + bulb at Lowes.
The pros of the one online is the light already attached. The pros of the one at lowes is the plastic already fit and zippered for easy accsess plus that will keep little fingers and cats away from new seedlings. And looks nice too. I don't know how I would put a light inside or if it would work on the ouside of the plastic, without melting it or starting a fire. Would putting it at a window with sw or se light be enough? Would the plastic sort of magnify the light? I'll lookup te one I found onine to give spec.
Anyone have any input?

#94968 January 17th, 2007 at 03:00 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
this is what I found online. I ot of forgot it doesn't have shelves. Tho I can just set it on a table. The pic is for a 2ft set. There is 4ft available with 2 light bulbs.

#94969 January 17th, 2007 at 05:46 AM
A
A
I have one with 3 shelves. In order to hang the grow lights, I took 3 thin bamboo stakes and cut them to fit across the top. Then I attached electric ties to each end of the lamps and hung them on the bamboo stakes. I can adjust the space between the lights and the seedlings as they get bigger.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/DSCF1550.jpg

#94970 January 17th, 2007 at 06:19 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
either that or if you can get a 4 foot shelf just put in hooks and hang a shop light. The shop light I got cost about 10.00. And it holds two of the T12 florescent bulbs. And the light is already on chains so that you can move it up and down to the height you need. And the shop light protects the plastic.

#94971 January 17th, 2007 at 08:11 AM
OP Offline
alan, your frame looks like the one at Lowes. Does yours have a plastic cover? And the bamboo and ties are an idea.

#94972 January 17th, 2007 at 10:55 PM
A
A
It did come with a plastic cover, but to be honest I never use it...not sure where it is at the moment. The bamboo and ties don't look so nice, but they are effective.

#94973 January 18th, 2007 at 09:03 AM
OP Offline
I liked the idea of the plastic cover. But I guess it's not really needed. I checked wally world for a shop light. They are not too bad a price in 4ft size. The bulbs are 5? a piece. Tho what to hang it from? Most of my ceilings are tile. I'll have to get my hubby to make something. I'll have some time to get that ready. I think I'll start some seeds this weekend. OH BOY!

Link Copied to Clipboard