This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94962 February 2nd, 2007 at 09:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
We have an espalier pear tree spreading across the entire west side of the house - our pride and joy (also, good fruit). The past couple of years, we've seen new leaves develop orange rust-like spots. At first, we thought it was drops of paint from the newly-repainted gable trim (almost the same color, ironically), but it is clearly NOT. I understand that this may be a disease that jumps from junipers, but simply cutting down our junipers probably won't help - most of our neighbors have junipers, too. It is unsightly, but doesn't appear to affect the fruit. My worry is that it will weaken the tree to the point that we'll lose it (the tree, not my worry!). How shall I tackle this?

#94963 February 10th, 2007 at 03:00 AM
R
R
cut off the infected parts and dispose by sealing in plastic bag or by burning.

#94964 February 10th, 2007 at 04:18 PM
P
P
orange rust-like spots
The problem might be caused by Pear rust mite.

The rust mites cause distortion or russeting of the leaves. Damage by this mite is cosmetic and not very serious.

Water or soap sprays will provide some immediate control. An oil spray with lime sulfur in October or November will help control the mite for the following season.

#94965 February 14th, 2007 at 01:13 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for input, friends.
Just cutting off affected parts probably won't help - almost every leaf seems to be affected (!) and I'm afraid that if I regularly nip off ALL the old leaves, the tree will weaken from the effort of putting out an entirely new set (saw this happen with our white-peach tree, affected by "peach-leaf curl"...).
Forgot to add that I do see the orange spots develop tiny "volcanoes" that open (a mite? some other bug?).... Feb. could be a bit late for spray, but might try now anyway.
Thanks again!

#94966 February 14th, 2007 at 03:41 PM
P
P
orange spots develop tiny "volcanoes" that open (a mite? some other bug?)
These "volcanoes", do they turn out later as red blisters? If so, then Pearleaf blister mite is also present. Treatment is similar to Pear rust mite.

Link Copied to Clipboard