This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94838 March 19th, 2007 at 10:58 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My brother and his wife brought me a plant for my birthday on Saturday. The lable says Salvia. I have looked it up, and it appears to be a member of the sage or mint family. The problem is that all the pictures I find don't really look much at all like this. Is it labeled wrong? I have attached a couple of pictures. They are a little blurry, but I think you can see well enough to tell. How do I take care of it? Does it need to be planted in the ground? Sun or shade? I would sure hate to kill my one and only birthday present! I hate to be so ignorant, but...that's why I'm here!
Salvia 1

Salvia 2

#94839 March 20th, 2007 at 12:39 AM
A
A
What you have is commonly known as a type of Red or Scarlet Salvia, an annual in colder regions but may be a perennial for you. They prefer full sun with good drainage. It can be grown in a pot or in the ground, where it will probably grow larger than if in a pot. They can often reseed, too.

#94840 March 20th, 2007 at 10:44 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Alan,

Scarlet Salvia is it. That's exactly it. Thank you so much. When I looked up salvia, I got all these pictures of a purple flower. Thanks for the advice on how to grow it up, and what I might expect.

Linda

#94841 March 22nd, 2007 at 03:12 AM
Linny

I grow them yearly......Yours is gorgous. And the leaves are huge.. I guess Florida special.

I have the Arrow salvia , Lady in red, and scarlet, and Blue on black.. Hope it came back it was neat.

muggs

Link Copied to Clipboard