This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#94695 September 18th, 2006 at 01:25 AM
OP Offline
I planted the baby "tulip" bulbs about 3 inches down, maybe a little less.

With the daylilies, I just tried to match the level that the soil had been on the plants previously. I will try to remember to mulch them. I was wondering if they formed bulbs or just lots of little corms. Thanks for elaborating on that, gailo.

#94696 September 26th, 2006 at 01:27 PM
Hi Sarah,

You just happened to ask 3 questions I know the answer to -- and that doesn't happen too often!

The Surprise Lilies are a special kind of plant (and it has a botanical description, I just forget it) that has a 3 or 4-year cycle. I forget exactly what it is, but basically this is the cycle: A single bulb blooms year one (1). Then it rests (2) Then it splits & it grows (3) and then it blooms (1) Maybe year 3 is actually year 3 & 4, but the point is that at any given time, you will have 3 or 4 times as many big bulbs in the ground as you see flowers for. Another bulb that has this cycle is the Cardiocrinum.

Surprise Lilies (and by this I mean the pink ones)will go down a about a foot no matter how shallowly you plant them by use of contractile roots.

Yes, those look like tulips... I would mulch with any kind of animal manure I could find and leave them in the ground. Baby tulips like those are heavy feeders...the manure will take care of them this fall, but in the spring I would hit them again a couple of times with whatever I had on hand -- 10-10-10 for example.

The daylilies will be fine (this is a prediction I am making because oddly enough, I got some old shriveled cast off daylilies this year myself and they are showing green growth.) And usually daylilies are dug the 2nd half of August (in your area) because they go dormant or at least slow way down then before their second flush of growth in fall (Sept.)

#94697 September 27th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
Are the onion weed bulbs edible?
Maybe, used by Indians or something like that?

#94698 September 29th, 2006 at 12:52 AM
OP Offline
Party Girl, thanks so much for that info! I had no idea about the cycles of the surprise lily, what a surprise.

I'll have to see if I can find someone who is willing to bring me some manure--I live in KS (pretty much manure country) but I don't have a truck to do the hauling. (My husband has "put his foot down" on the idea of putting manure in a rubbermaid box in the trunk.) laugh In the meantime, I'll give the bulbs some fish fertilizer.

My daylilies have mostly recovered from their traumatic move. A few of the smaller ones are still looking a little limp and sickly.

Deborah, I have no idea if onion weed bulbs are edible. When I was little, I remember eating wild onion "leaves," just to get the stinky breath!! The leaves tasted very onion-y, so I don't see why the bulbs wouldn't.

#94699 February 27th, 2007 at 08:20 PM
OP Offline
In September, I put several of the smaller bulbs in a baggie for my neighbor who has a huge garden--just nothing planted in it. I forgot to give them to her and here is what I found today: [Linked Image]

Here is a pic of what I got out of the bag, most of the bulbs were rotted but about 15 of them are growing! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

So, are these tulips or onion weed? Here is a pic of something new growing all over the place, that I didn't plant. Is it onion weed?
[Linked Image]

#94700 February 27th, 2007 at 09:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the stuff in the ground does look like onion grass/weed.

the sprouted bulbs look like tulips to me...i'd go ahead and plant them if the soil is workable.

#94701 February 28th, 2007 at 12:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pinch one of the leaves, you will be able to tell by the smell.

#94702 March 1st, 2007 at 03:07 PM
OP Offline
No onion smell. Even tasted one and it just tasted a little bitter. No oniony flavor at all. It's really weird though, it keeps popping up in nice round little areas, fist sized. At least that makes it easier to dig up and dispose of.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard