This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94503 September 25th, 2006 at 06:38 AM
OP Offline
These trees grow all along the ditchy-wet areas where we live and now one has sprouted up near my flower bed. Is this something I'd want to dig up and replant somewhere acceptable in the yard or something I should just chop down. lol

Tree

Upclose leaves

Full grown tree along ditch area (middle)

#94504 September 25th, 2006 at 07:40 AM
could it be some sort or willow?

#94505 September 25th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
M
M
"Is this something I'd want to dig up and replant somewhere acceptable in the yard or something I should just chop down."
Only you can answer this. If someone can give you an exact genus and species, does that change whether you like it or not? You see the one you've got, you've seen older ones, what do YOU want to do?

#94506 September 25th, 2006 at 06:19 PM
OP Offline
"You see the one you've got, you've seen older ones, what do YOU want to do?"

Well having never seen one in anyone's yard before..it makes me wonder what kind of root system I'd be getting into. So yeh if I can get an exact genus and species it will tell me whether I like it or not.
There are also honey locust growing along with the larger tree..as nice as it is to look at from a distance, I DON'T want one of those in my yard.

#94507 September 26th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
I'd say it's a willow tree.

One way or the other, you might want to clip some branches - Weezie told me that it's good to use a few sprigs of willow when you're standing your clippings in water - the willow sprigs contain a lot of hormone that helps the rooting along.

I tried it - didn't think I got roots any faster than usual, but I think it's a good idea.

You'd have to think it through - picture where you'd like the tree - willow is nice especially for shade but it's messy.

#94508 September 26th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
OP Offline
Thank you very much Carly. I did a search on types of willows and it looks like it might be a Black Willow .

I have a Weeping willow in the backyard but never put this tree into the willow category till you mentioned it!

One article says "It is a fast-growing tree, and useful for erosion control on steep banks where moisture is avalable. However, the extensive shallow roots can clog drains and break pavement in urban residential sites. The wood is weak and brittle, subject to damage in ice storms, and the tree is short-lived."

Now I know if I do indeed want to keep it, it'll have to go far away from the house. lol

#94509 September 26th, 2006 at 11:38 AM
My local gardening TV program said not to use willow branches you've trimmed off as plant stakes because a willow branch will root and they're hard to eradicate once they root.
Interesting !

Link Copied to Clipboard