This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94444 February 15th, 2007 at 08:33 PM
OP Offline
On my seed packets for the cucumbers it says for early bearing plants to start them indoors. Is this something that you would reccomend? Thanks!!

#94445 February 15th, 2007 at 10:50 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Yes, you can start cukes indoors. Since they sprout so fast, I wouldn't start them too early. And of course, when you move them to your garden, shoot for a cloudy day so they don't suffer the shock of sudden sun and make sure you water them well.

#94446 February 15th, 2007 at 11:58 PM
J
J
You can start them early indoors, but it really isn't necessary. I've always just direct sowed them in the garden, but this year I was thinking of starting them in peat pots a couple weeks early. They also do NOT transplant well, so if you decide to, use peat pots so you can just bury the whole container when transplanting so as not to diturb the roots.

#94447 February 16th, 2007 at 02:55 AM
Even though you can start them indoors, they do not like to be transplanted and it will set them back if they are shocked from transplanting. But if you want to try anyway...Do not start them any earlier then 2-3 weeks before set out date.

John...I hate those peat pots, but would make transplanting easier for things like cucumbers. I want to suggest anyone who uses those peat pots...to tear your peat pot open before placing in the ground..these do not break down like they are suppose to and can hinder root growth.

#94448 February 16th, 2007 at 03:20 AM
Comfrey, strange you should mention tearing the peat pots-when I planted strawberries the other day, I was worried about planting the pots.
The strawberries were in a pot that was light plastic at the top with peat bottoms.
You're supposed to tear the plastic tops off and plant the bottom.
Has anyone seen these pots? They were new to me, and I didn't like the idea of maybe having the plants' growth slowed by the roots having to work through the peat.
I popped the plants out and planted as I always do. Duh

#94449 February 16th, 2007 at 01:45 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Deborah,
I've seen the pots you're talking about--don't like that design and won't buy them. I do something similar to what Comfrey does except I use a small pair of scissors to cut the peat pot away so I won't damage the roots (did that once when I tried to tear one apart). And Hannah--I agree with John--I also direct sow my cukes because they do sprout so fast. Starting early inside is just some extra and unnecessary work, but it probably DOES help ease that spring fever laugh

#94450 February 16th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
OP Offline
I might start 1/2 of them indoors, and direct sow the rest. I don't know yet. Thanks for you advice! My hands are itching to dig in the soil... flw

Link Copied to Clipboard