This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94196 January 25th, 2007 at 03:36 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here and just posted on the welcome wagon. I found your forum by searching tree cultivation and was thrilled to have found such a great resource.

We moved to Florida from North Carolina a year ago and are likely to be purchasing land on the panhandle this year. The land we're looking at, sadly, has been clearcut of trees and one of my first projects will be to start establishing a group of shade and ornamental trees when we get there.

The problem? I can't seem to make much of anything grow here in Florida--and it's REALLY frustrating me! I've managed to get a bouganvilla bush growing nicely (she's doubled her size in under a year and stays in almost constant flower) and I have a few normally-indoor plants growing outdoors well plus some jasmine and a few bulbs, but I've put in a lot more than that only to see them wither and die or just sit there, stunted, and not do much of anything. I'm the first to admit that I'm still on a steep learning curve where gardening is concerned, but at least in NC I could pretty much grow whatever I planted.

So, my first question is about what trees I'm likely to have success with here and how to I begin working with them. (Somewhere I noticed talk about "suckers" and wondered if all trees can be cultivated in that way. Money is a big concern and that would be a wonderful way to start.)

I love the old-growth Live Oaks here, BTW, and Weeping willows are my favorite tree of all so if you have some information on them, I'd be thrilled. Will willows even survive in this area? Feel free to refer me to good websites and avoid the necessity of writing everything out for me.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to learning!
Ranee

#94197 January 26th, 2007 at 04:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where in florida are you? i'm from pensacola originally, and have family in the defuniak springs.

at home, we had oaks, pecans, magnolias, dogwoods, and crepe myrtles. not to mention the ever present pine. and chinkapins. (a nut related to a walnut and filbert)

#94198 January 26th, 2007 at 05:24 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Jiffy,

Right now we're in a rotten little town called Babson Park, not far from Lake Wales, and about an hour from both Tampa and Orlando.
We are LIKELY moving to Chippley, Florida.
Duh..never even thought of dogwoods...I love them.
I take it you don't live there anymore?
Thanks for responding!
Ranee

#94199 January 26th, 2007 at 02:24 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
blackthumb,
I live in Mississippi but share your problem of having difficulty getting things to grow. Before we built our house, my hubby had the ground bulldozed down by about 20 feet to level out the ridges, which also left me with no trees and horrible dense clay soil to deal with (no nutrients at all). I saw SuperThrive at Walmart and decided to give it a try. It worked miracles with my trees and shrubs--they turned beautiful green and began growing really well. Walmart is beginning to stock their garden center so you might want to keep an eye out for it. If your Walmart doesn't carry it, I have found it online--just run a search for SuperThrive.

#94200 January 27th, 2007 at 06:26 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Nature Lover--I'll keep my eyes open for it on my weekly jaunts to Wallyworld.
Blessings,
Jesse

#94201 January 28th, 2007 at 03:09 PM
R
R
floridata

check out this website. more info than i could type in a year.

#94202 January 28th, 2007 at 03:27 PM
R
R
you may like desert willow .

it is a relative of the catalpa mentioned in an earlier post. there is also a hybrid of the 2 called chitalpa . another cousin for hot climates is the jacaranda .

all are fragrant.

catalpa was one of my favorite eastern trees. and since my move to Cali, i have discovered all her wonderful relatives.

there are also some wonderful vines in the family bignoniacaea .

#94203 January 28th, 2007 at 04:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i much prefer the panhandle to southern/central fl.

chipley is nice little town. i haven't been there in a few years, but last time i drove through, it hadn't changed much.

i'm just outside of savannah georgia now, but drive across the panhandle about every 18 mos. what little family i have left is in either pensacola or foley ala.

i forgot about catalpa trees. they get a particular catipillar that is great for fishing with.

and there is a kind of pear, we call them "sand" pears that are really pretty and the fruit is good for cooking with.

Link Copied to Clipboard