This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94132 February 15th, 2007 at 02:29 AM
M
Mac 2 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was just able to afford the down payment for land in Virginia. I'm trying to landscape it as cheaply as possible.I'm new at all of this.Advice is welcomed. Cheap and free are really good.
Thank you,
Mac 2

#94133 February 15th, 2007 at 04:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
seeds are the cheap way to go! thumbup

What kind of sunlight does your yard get in the areas that you'd like to landscape???? That's very important to know...and whether or not the drainage is good.

Let us know.... I may have extra's I could dig out and mail to you.

#94134 February 15th, 2007 at 05:19 PM
Coneflowers have large amounts of seeds so self seed as well as being perennial. Things you are looking for will be mostly perennial for your zone!! You can buy rose bushes inexpensively sometimes from the most unlikely of places or get cuttings which will root and grow quickly or even grow from hips (the seeds that form after the flower falls). Check with me in Summer and I will probably have LOTS of things to pass to you. Right now I have a few seeds for things like Black Eyed Susan (coneflower) and Morning Glories--a mix of many different colors), etc. PM for info on receiving these. Bonnie

#94135 February 15th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
J
J
I can share seeds if you are willing to send a SASE. Everything I have likes it hot and dry. Sometime around August ever year,I get tire of watering and give up, a disadvantage of living in the South. I only have seeds for flowers that can take the abuse.
Jeannie

#94136 February 16th, 2007 at 04:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i have purple coneflower seeds and, when the weather warms up, i'll be able to pull up some purple bearded iris.

a SASE will be okay!

the coneflower is perennial - from seed they take two years to bloom...will give you some bit of greenery to fill the spaces up tho.

the bearded iris should bloom right away - since they've already been blooming, i don't think transplanting will have any affect.

both like sunny spots.

i've also got some purple hyacinth bean vine seeds...very nice vine with REALLY nice flowers and SPECTACULAR purple seed pods! that one you can pull seeds from for the following year.

i'll have many more things this summer...

i wonder if you could get in on the spring fling seed thing? usually everyone sends seed packets and then they get the same amount of packets back. maybe you could ask if you could send a SASE...that would be a nice start for you.

#94137 February 16th, 2007 at 05:43 AM
S
S
hi mac, i think you said it was mostly shaded area, do you get any sun? watch your yard morning,day and evening and wright down how much sun and were, also whats all shade or partly shade, that would help you know what ya can plant here and there.

45 acers! wow! your so lucky! i would love to landcape 45 acers!
loz is right seeds are the cheapest way to go,

Link Copied to Clipboard