This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#93943 March 8th, 2007 at 05:46 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We have a very short growing season, so in the past I've tried starting some of my flower seeds indoors. It's been a waste of my time and effort. What grows is thread like strings that die off instead of becoming strong and upright. I grew them in my sunniest window? What am I doing wrong? To come to think of it, I don't have much success with seed outdoors either? Regardless, I am ready to give it another shot, and could use all the help I can get?

#93944 March 8th, 2007 at 07:39 AM
Daisy, are you using any lights? Duh I never had any luck with a sunny window because they just didn't seem get enough light for a long enough length of time. frown The seedlings just got tall and spindly and then they died. thumbup I know the seed starting mats help a lot, but I've never used those. :rolleyes:

#93945 March 8th, 2007 at 08:43 AM
Hi Daisy, you seem to have a common problem, I experienced the same thing. An expert gardener (worked in a nursery) I know advised me that when shoots go spindly they are far more likely to dampen off. One of the tricks of the trade is to plant the seed just a little deeper than recommended. The theory is apparently that as they take longer to germinate they come through just a little bit stronger and have a better chance of survival. I think it's the same as when you are thinning out, you always transplant just a little deeper to give the seedling time to recover. I think that particular tip is somewhere on Bill's tips as well. Good luck.

John

#93946 March 8th, 2007 at 03:03 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I'm so glad you're not giving up shk Hang in there, you'll get it. We've all had our mishaps on the road to learning to garden. A little trick I learned with my tomato seeds is to only fill the container about 3/4 full with whatever type of potting soil I'm using then, when the seeds start to get some height to them, I add soil almost to the top. When you do this with tomatoes, they will put out more roots along the stem that you've buried deeper in the soil. Good luck wink

#93947 March 8th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you all, now I'm getting all excited to try again. I haven't used lights and wonder if that may help?
John, when you say to plant the seed a little deeper, do you mean about double the recommended depth on the package?

MLN, your suggestion makes sense, as my tomatos are spindly as well. Sometimes, in the beginning they start with a thick stem and look full, but as they start to grow the stem lengthens and gets spindly with a few leaves on top. The longer I keep them in the pots the worse they look. Once, I plant them outdoors they start to fill out both in the stem and the leaves.

#93948 March 8th, 2007 at 05:10 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Also, just try to hold off starting them soooo soon... IMHO that is why alot of people get discouraged with seeds indoors..
If they start tooo soon, the winter sun is not strong enough for them and they go spindly...

Yes, lights just above them is good, puts more light on them, and close, so they don't have to reach for it...

But dont' get discouraged, some seeds are more happy started outdoors, but need warmer soil to germinate...

Do you have a list of what you've started over the years and maybe we all can add some tips to those individually... not all seeds act the same, several need light to germinate, some need darkness.. some need deep soil, some need no soil..

Gottta list??? thumbup flw

#93949 March 8th, 2007 at 05:49 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Weezie, I've tried petunia's, dwarf asters, and many others that I can't even remember right now. This year, I bought coleus, and strawflower seeds. Last year I planted Dianthus, Sweet Williams, and double Clarkia outdoors with no success, so I just wanted to try them indoors to see if something comes up or if I bought bad seed.

I have an important question, is it best to seed them in flat 2-3" deep trays or put them in little peat pots?...I know the greenhouses start them in bedding flats. I'm not sure about the depth of their bed soil? Of course their temperature, humidity and lighting is ideal, and mine is far from it.

#93950 March 9th, 2007 at 03:24 AM
Duh We all loose lots .....

#93951 March 9th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
John, when you say to plant the seed a little deeper, do you mean about double the recommended depth on the package?
No, I wouldn't say that much, just a little, was the advice I was given. It is possible that this fits in with Weezie's thoughts on the winter sun. Deeper planting slows down propagation so they come through slower, by which time the sun is stronger. It also fits in with my own ideas on centrally heated homes. As I've said before on various threads, I don't have my greenhouse up yet so have grown in the house. I am sure some plants are too warm too early. i.e. Heat without sunlight. Not a good thing.

#93952 March 9th, 2007 at 01:44 PM
webwise,

Depends what area you live in.. My area is cold like Alaska at times......
Heat is the only way to start early peppers and such.
I am eating tomatos already , Inside .. Window sun and a floresant bulb.

barb

#93953 March 9th, 2007 at 03:00 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Barb, you don't mean indoor tomatos, do you? Just curious, what brand of tomato do you have?

#93954 March 9th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
Daisy

Yes I did mean indoors..Rutgers Select , and tiny tims, and another.We been eating them.
This is about the 4th winter I did it.
try it ..

barb

#93955 March 9th, 2007 at 06:19 PM
Last year, when my tomato plants got to be a decent size I planted them in the ground very deep and they did extremely well. thumbup smile

I am eating tomatos already ,
Oh, Barb, you have my mouth watering already. I can't wait until I pick my first tomato fo the season. smile There's nothing better than eating the first home-grown tomato of the year. wink wink

#93956 March 9th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
patches

Gotcha...........
I have the neighbors sturred up with mine.....Ha ha

Just being funny....I just did it one year to see if it would happen.. I have a hall window facing south..Upstairs and it is so warm there in the winter when the sun comes.. The Bedroom beside it too......
I have an old house which is very useful.

You can do it too.
barb

#93957 March 10th, 2007 at 07:39 PM
Barb, I think that's great! thumbup clp Unfortunately, I have a lot of trees, so my house is too shaded to rely on getting sufficient sun in any of the windows. frown I do some of my gardening in the basement during the winter with lights. wink wink

#93958 March 10th, 2007 at 07:45 PM
patches

You cant have everything..
I dont..

;o)

b

#93959 March 10th, 2007 at 07:58 PM
You cant have everything..
I dont..
I know, I don't have everything either, :rolleyes: but we are all blessed in our own way! angell I thank God every day for what I do have and all the troubles I don't have that other people do. wink Of course, my gardening in the winter may be curbed if God doesn't do something about our huge power rate increase. eek I have friends whose bills doubled and tripled since it went into effect. mad Besides that, it's affecting everything we buy. frown I have a friend who raises chickens and she's had to raise the price she charges for a dozen of eggs 60% since the increase went into effect. frown frown

#93960 March 10th, 2007 at 11:31 PM
Patches,

I know what you mean.. However being on a small farm, we manage to keep our table full of food.
We raise our own meat and i freeze and can everything I can get my hands on ...
We are not the party type and dont go out like most do, so we save lots.
In the summer we have on large family get together , my side and one on his there we all bring a dish and eat.....Nicer that way.
I try to help anyone I can ..
barb

#93961 March 11th, 2007 at 05:19 AM
We are not the party type and dont go out like most do, so we save lots.
Well, Barb, I'm not the party type either frown , and I don't even care to go out a lot or travel like my friends do. :rolleyes: Of course, I do like to have heat in the winter and lights when it's dark, wink so I hope they can do something about this. sca

#93962 March 11th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
patchs,

Read the last line you wrote of Jesus........There's your answer.

He never says no.
;o)

b

#93963 March 11th, 2007 at 03:58 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I understand, huge rate increases can cause considerable stress. While our hydro rates were compariable to our gas rates, our gas rates recently went up right at a time when we were sitting in a deep freeze of minus -40.

Also this year we have gotten a water rate increase in Feb and another to take place in June. I have two rain barrels that will fill up when it rains but don't know if I have the energy to keep lugging the water to water my plants and garden?

On a more cheerful note,
no one answered my question as of yet...is it better to start flower seeds in flat trays or in peat cups or in similar little plastic compartments that the greenhouses sell their plants in? Can the containers themselves make a difference in producing stronger starters?

#93964 March 11th, 2007 at 05:20 PM
Daisy,

Containers dont make a difference.. Good soil and water do...
I am sorry of your high bills.....We just got a few also..
I have a rain barrel right off the house roof.. Large plastic soda barrel.....It fills for me all summer.....There for it is close to the house. And flowers.......
What saves me, i have a well for water..Dont have a city tap....I am on a farm.. Does make one wonder what this world is coming to.$$$$$

I have been using Yogurt cups to plant sees in..Water proof..Also Margarine tubs.. I cut the lids into slices, like a pie, and use them to write the names on it..........saves.
I Use clear tops from containers fot the green house outside and in.

Ask me what you want , I will try to help you do cheap things..
barb

#93965 March 11th, 2007 at 05:49 PM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Barb, thanks. I take it that you slit drainage holes in the bottom of the container?

I guess there are advantages to owning a well. It's a shame that we are paying so much for water? Who would have thought the our essential need would be priced and taxed to boot?

#93966 March 11th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
Daisy, only if you want to.. I keep mine whole so it doesnt run on the floor.....
But if you overwater, you may have to .. Just control your watering.

Barb

#93967 March 12th, 2007 at 06:18 AM
Actually, I drill holes in my yogurt cups and then use the lids as saucers idea to catch the water. It works great!!! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard