This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93633 February 14th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
OP Offline
I was reading another topic and it got me to wondering. What do you prefer: plants OR seeds?

I like growing the seeds.

I grew up with my parents and grandparents bringing home the plants, tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. and putting them in the garden. I know there are a lot of fruits and veggies that have to be sown by seed outdoors but as a child I thought that was the only way to get tomatoes and such.

By the way my tomatoes are getting new leaves. Tiny little leaves in the middle of the first ones. clp I am getting more and more excited about my first real garden.

#93634 February 14th, 2007 at 01:19 PM
I find seeds are better, there is a lot more choice!
also you can pick for flavour,disease resistence,maturity,performance, size,colour,shape and so on,,,,,
plus theres the enjoyment of seeing your seedlings come good.
the down side of buying plants, is you take a risk of disease and pests!!!

#93635 February 14th, 2007 at 02:08 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I use a little of both. I start some things indoors, direct seed most, and buy some of my tomato plants (raise my Romas from seed--they are sooo good for putting up as sauce). They are getting where they will sell you so many plants (cucumber, squash, greens, etc.) that are really easy to direct sow--I just don't see the point in buying them. Besides, a lot of those kinds of things do better direct seeded so you can avoid the transplant shock. But Kristy, like the rest of us, you will probably experiment and settle in on what you are happy and confident in doing with your garden. I just love gardening no matter how I do it wink Good luck with your garden!

Marleine

#93636 February 14th, 2007 at 03:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I like seeds because as long as I compost it is cheaper than buying the plants. And I enjoy having the little seedlings in the house over the winter.

Also I've been told that toping the tomatoes and using the cutting increases the production. And I'm all for that lol.

#93637 February 20th, 2007 at 01:36 AM
Definitely plants-I know that limits my choices but I haven't much patience with seeds, and want plants when I want them.
I do seeds sometimes. And then I'm looking for sprouts the very next day ! shocked

#93638 February 20th, 2007 at 02:29 AM
I usually do both, but more of the plants...

This is [will be] the first year that I've grown most of my veggies from seeds... thumbup

#93639 February 20th, 2007 at 04:25 AM
I grow everything from seed. I prefer it over plants because:
-First I have a wider choice of variety
-I don't carry home any bugs or diseases from buying plants
-In the long run I actually save money growing my own plants and saving seed from them.
-I enjoy starting seeds and find it very relaxing and very rewarding.

Link Copied to Clipboard