This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93490 February 15th, 2007 at 01:38 AM
OP Offline
There were several peonies in my yard when I moved here last spring. I looked them up and it looks like they are the herbaceous kind, not the tree kind.

Wellll... I didn't prune them back and they are just dried up in the yard under some snow now. I read that you are supposed to cut them after the first frost. confused

Should I trim them back now (which would require moving some snow), or just leave them be? What would be best if I want them to flower this year OR best for their overall health- whether that means they bloom this year or not?

Thank ya!!

#93491 February 15th, 2007 at 01:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i transplanted a peony a couple of years ago...i've never trimmed it back at all. i just let it die down...by the time spring arrives, the previous years growth has discintegrated and is removed when i take out the leaves i use to mulch for the winter.

since i just transplanted it, i don't expect flowers for at least another couple of years. yours, since it's been there, should bloom without any problems.

#93492 February 15th, 2007 at 01:44 AM
I didn't prune mine back either this year. But I did go out there recently and break off alot of the dried dead branches. They should be cut back to about 6" in late fall. There have been times in the past when mine did not get pruned and it did not effect them blooming. But it is best if you can cut back some of the dead stuff now or as soon as the snow melts.

#93493 February 15th, 2007 at 03:26 AM
H
H
A MI groundskeeper recommends removing and throwing away all peony growth by the end of September. During the growing season remove leaves with black marks as noticed. Heavily mulch the beds after the ground freezes.

My recommendations for spring: Buy a peony ring for each plant. Place it as soon as growth pokes thru. There is nothing worse than a peony bush in full bloom, laying on the ground after a rain never to revive. Buy the heaviest vase you can find and gather lots of boquets.

#93494 February 15th, 2007 at 03:46 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice about staking them. The two in the backyard were against fence panels, tied to them with twine and did just fine last year, but one of the panels was removed, so I will have to stake that plant and would not have remembered had it not been for your post!!
Thanks again!

#93495 February 16th, 2007 at 12:54 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Love Peonies, what colors are yours? Or do you know their names?

#93496 February 26th, 2007 at 03:46 PM
OP Offline
I don't know their names. I will have to post pics when the bloom and let you all ID them for me! They are like big pink balls- tons and tons of petals. I had no idea what they were and had never seen them before I moved here... I don't know anyone down south who grows them, but maybe that is because the winters don't get cold? I seem to remember reading something about how they have to have a cold season....
Anyway, they are chock FULL of ants when the bloom, so they aren't my favorite flower since you have to be far enough away from them to not see the ants in order to appreciate them!! And I certainly would not bring them indoors either!! shk

#93497 February 26th, 2007 at 10:57 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yes the ants do love them because the nectar is very sweet. My friend just turns them upside down and shakes them to get rid of the ants. That and spritz them with water from the water bottle. It works for her. Me I don't have the heart to cut my cut flowers yet so I just enjoy them in situ.

I'll look forward to the pictures.

#93498 March 1st, 2007 at 07:55 AM
S
S
i leave the ants on mine. they munch the covering around the bud, helps it to bloom.

Link Copied to Clipboard