This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93062 March 16th, 2007 at 09:19 PM
OP Offline
This might be a bit off topic but last year we had about 5 hummingbirds here. I kept telling my grandma about these crazy hummingbirds that kept attacking me. She thought I was nuts. Then one day I was on the phone outside and she asked what all the buzzing was - it was those stupid birds - they'd buzz my nose - one practically got stuck in my hair - one bounced off my forehead. I was almost to the point that I was afraid to go outside - these birds had it out for me. I went to my grandma's and she asked me what I was wearing - I had on Cherry Blossom lotion from Bath & Body - she said that's why I was getting attacked. Well - being the smart one I am - I changed lotions - to Gardenia smile Let me tell you it got worse. I finally stopped wearing lotions. Everyone got a big kick out of me getting attacked. They weren't the ones getting pinged every time they turned around. Anyhow - just thought my stupidity would make someone laugh... shocked

#93063 March 16th, 2007 at 09:47 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Welcome to the forum, Crystal Rae! Hummingbirds are the most vicious, aggressive, birds in the world, despite their tiny size. They will even attack their own offspring if they see them as competition to their food source. I have had them fly up in my face buzzing and chirping LOUDLY, when their feeders are empty. Humming-birds KNOW that humans are the ones that fill the feeders, and they recognize the individual humans that ACTUALLY fill the feeders. I collect anthromorphic art, that is art that portrays non-human figures, ESPECIALLY animals, as possessing human attributes, such as intelligence, technology, and body form. Bugs Bunny or Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse are well-known examples of this art form. Here is a picture by an Anthromorphic Artist, Dark Natasha, that displays Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds in Anthromorphic form AND that demonstrates their aggressive belligerent character.

[Linked Image]

#93064 March 16th, 2007 at 09:49 PM
OP Offline
Maybe it wasn't the lotions then smile Their feeders could have just been empty. I am hoping to plant flowers that will attract them this year also. Any good suggestions?

I love the picture - that's what mine were like - I'm glad they don't carry guns smile

#93065 March 16th, 2007 at 10:02 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I planted 30 red Cannas last year and QUADRUPLED the number of Hummers coming to my yard.

#93066 March 18th, 2007 at 10:54 AM
OP Offline
Is there a smaller variety of Cannas? The only ones I have seen are huge and I just don't have a place to fit them in. I so they have them for my pond also - I need to read some more.

#93067 March 18th, 2007 at 11:38 AM
My hummers love my:
bleeding hearts
jewel weed
columbine
foxglove
beebalm
balsam
petunia
penstemon

#93068 March 18th, 2007 at 12:04 PM
OP Offline
I've never had luck with bleeding hearts - I don't have hardly any shade so I don't know if they could be the reason (or it could just be me lala ) I love the plant tho - my grandma has it. I am going to try to get some from her this year because I am putting up a fenced area so I may have some shade then.

I love foxglove to but never had luck with it. I haven't tried the others tho. I will give them a shot.

Thanks! smile

#93069 March 18th, 2007 at 07:06 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jewelweed is EXCELLENT! for hummers in late Summer. We have it growing wild here in Tennessee in marshy areas and the gravel bars of small creeks and streams. I need to gather some seeds this summer from it. They form this little bean pod thingy.

Link Copied to Clipboard