This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92938 May 20th, 2005 at 12:30 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok here goes with another text description.

I'm in Virginia and these trees are all over the area. The leaf pattern is such that it reminds me of how a fern developes it's leaves. In another words a lot of little leaves right across from one another and then one at the tip. And there are multiple trunks that grow at an angle rather than straight up. But I have noticed that on the mature ones there is usually only one trunk. I don't know if that is due to pruning or what but that is what I have been able to observe.

It seems to be either self seeding or maybe there is a root that is producing the new tree I can't really tell. What I know is I have a baby one growing in the garden and I really like these trees but the landlords father doesn't want any trees in that area because of the retaining wall.

I would like to pot it and see if I can braid the trunks when it gets that size and maybe root prune it like a bonzai so that it can be kept indoors. But first I need to find out what it is. So please help me?

#92939 May 20th, 2005 at 03:00 PM
Can't say I blame the landlord for that one - there's an example of a retaining wall problem up the street from us.

The thing is bulging out onto the sidewalk. I heard it had to do with metal bars that should have been inserted when the wall was built. They weren't included, it seems and that's the reason for the bulging, they say.

Now that I hear about this problem, I wonder - there seem to be a few large shrubs on that property. Maybe that's the cause of it.

I can't imagine what that tree is.

I like your idea about taking up some of it and trying to make a container plant out of it. An interesting project.

#92940 May 20th, 2005 at 03:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does it flower?

G-Mom grinnnn

#92941 May 20th, 2005 at 08:48 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I have never seen one bloom but I may not have noticed. That sounds strange but unless a tree is close by I would see it blooming and not connect it to the one I see the rest of the year. For instance this is the first time in almost four years that I noticed that the maples have blooms.

That sounds like I walk around with a blind fold on doesn't it? Now just where do I find a greamlin for that lol.

#92942 May 21st, 2005 at 12:20 AM
T
T
Is it a Mimosa tree? I'm not sure on how to post
a pic so maybe you could do a search to find a
pic to see if this is what it is. wink

#92943 May 21st, 2005 at 12:32 AM
HI wavey yep i was just thinking the same thing. heres a link for you with photo.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/alju.htm
your friend in gardeing digger wavey flw flw

#92944 May 21st, 2005 at 12:49 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If it isn't it's a kissing cousin. I'm going to be looking for the bloom. It should be anytime now since it hasn't happened yet. I'll tell you the description of how it grows sure matches. It just doesn't seem as thick as the ones pictured. At least now I know it can be grown in a container and that the one that has appeared outside must be cut down.

Thanks all you are fantastic at identifying all my "garden visitors" lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard