This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92891 July 11th, 2006 at 07:20 AM
OP Offline
Hello All,

I need some help with a couple plants in my yard. I've made the mistake of pulling something that I thought was a weed (it grew as a weed when I was a child)...Turns out it was GoldenRod. But seeing as how I have allergies, I did not feel so bad after finding out what they were...

Then comes these two Beauts.

[img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cb3db0zc53ae39b/6fdfre2/__sr_/c49dre2.jpg?phQNrsEBM_iMZgYb[/img] This one is growing in two different places in my yard. It hasn't flowered yet, but it looks as though it is about to. Anyone know what it is?

[img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cb3db0zc53ae39b/6fdfre2/__sr_/7c9are2.jpg?phQNrsEBnnaysTXv[/img] This one is growing in several different spots. The leaves look like some vegetable foliage, but I would not know what... Any help would be appreciated. If they are weeds, I'd like to pull them because they are really taking up a lot of space, and if they are plants, I'd like to know so that I can care for them.. Thanks everyone!

Curious

#92892 July 11th, 2006 at 08:16 AM
Hi Curious Nick
I think you forgot to add the pictures...I can't see anything!

#92893 July 11th, 2006 at 10:53 AM
OP Offline

#92894 July 11th, 2006 at 11:17 AM
That's better!
I'm not sure of the first one, but the second one looks like Hollyhock.

#92895 July 11th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
R
R
#1 pokeweed

#2 does look like Hollyhock

#92896 July 11th, 2006 at 01:26 PM
The Poke is edible. You need to pick in the spring when it is tender. It does have a strong taste, you need to boil it a few times and drain the water between boilings.

Or you can mix it with other greens. I know of a few 'old timers' that still eat it.

I am going to try it next spring. It grows wild all over my yard.

#92897 July 11th, 2006 at 01:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Second one is Hollyhock! thumbup

#92898 July 12th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes to the Pokeweed...
***What Amigate said is true, wash, boil, wash, boil, but remember there are posionous toxins concentrated in the roots, berries and seeds.

but I'd like to see the underbelly of the
the one that looks like from the stem....
It does look like a Hollyhock but almost
looks like a pumpkin plant or some kind of squash...

#92899 July 16th, 2006 at 02:10 PM
OP Offline
Weezie,

I thought those leaves looked a little like a Squash or Pumpkin plant myself. The one reason I did not think they were Hollyhock is because all the Hollyhock around here is in bloom. These guys, that are scattered to and fro, are growing like crazy right now, but no flowering or fruit yet.

I will take some more pictures of them tomorrow. I also have another green plant growing in the "inherited garden" as I have taken to calling it. The leaves are pretty nice sized, and my partner describes the texture as the same as one of those old black-light velvet paintings...lol..I will take pictures of this in the morning as well.

#92900 July 16th, 2006 at 02:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Please take more pictures...
That helps in identifing ones that are close to other kinds.. a different flower or way it comes off the stem or grows upward or outward, helps tell us tell tale signs as they grow...

And can't wait for the other Mystery plant...
WE just love them here... thumbup flw

#92901 July 17th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
OP Offline
Ok, I have returned with more photos. I was out in the inherited paradise this morning, and noticed that the Japanese Beetles have had their way with things. Since I don't know what's what yet, I don't know what to protect and what to just pull. The previous owners left plant tags for some things, but none for others.

Here is the bottom of the leaf in question that Weezie asked for... I hope this sheds some more light on this mystery green...(By the way, I finally got MY server back up and running, so I shouldn't have to deal with Yahoos stupid problems anymore.)

[Linked Image]

Here is the plant that my partner said felt like the Black Light Velvet Paintings...I noticed that as the leaves got bigger, they were less velvety...

[Linked Image]

This is the center of that furry green...

[Linked Image]

Anyone know what this is? It's planted(?) in bunches in different spots of the border garden.

[Linked Image]

I have other pics..but I don't want to overwhelm...so I will stop there..

#92902 July 17th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay Nick..
Good work on more pictures..

For the first one..
I was kinda hopin' for the bottom where the leave meets the plant at the bottom..
*how the leaves are joined at the stem..
and how it either goes up into the air, or a vining effect *like a pumpkin/squash would*

If you say that the Hollyhocks are already blooming, I'd say it's not one of those but
one of the other above stated..

*if you can get another shot, that would be awesome for me.. but someone may also come thru and identify it from the leaf*

The second one looks like it will shoot up soon..
*up thru the middle*
I am going to say my guess is the "COMMON MULLEIN"

The third one looks like it could be a Chrysanthemum...not 100% sure, might need another photo when they bloom...

Wait a bit for others to come thru,
as they will add more guess's to the thumbup flw clp

Link Copied to Clipboard