This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92800 January 10th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I purchased a Neanthe Bella about 6 months ago and it seems to be slowly dying. Parts of the plant seem quite healthy, while others are browning and dying. There have even been new shoots, but they seem to harden and die before they can spread apart.

It's in my office (with about 40 other plants). Temperature is consistently comfortable (~70F), with no temperature changes. It's placed about 6-10" from a grow light. I let it dry out almost completely before watering it.

I checked for pests, and it's clean.

Any ideas?

#92801 January 10th, 2007 at 05:15 AM
wavey Hi Raziel,

I had bought several small parlor palms years ago and put them all in one pot, as they grew, so did the pot size which is now up to 10" or so. The palms are all 3' or more tall.

I can't advise on anything to do with the grow lights, if it's enough light, or too close to the fronds because I have never had one.
Mine is off to the side of a large window where it gets bright indirect light.
I can tell you that this plant does not like to dry out completely which can be one of the reasons the fronds are drying up.

When the top of the soil (about an inch down) starts to feel close to drying, it will get watered well until it flows out the bottom, (empty out any excess) You have to be careful NOT to over-water though.If you have a peace lily, treat it pretty much the same way.
The temperature you have yours in is fine.

#92802 January 10th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they need to be kept consistantly moist. not drowning, just moist. start watering it weekly and do good/deep waterings.

i've just lost a few fronds off of mine because of it drying out too much...been sick and wasn't capable of keeping track of the plants (didn't lose anything - yet - a couple came close to biting it tho).

for light, they do just fine in indirect light...in fact, mine is doing very well with the western light that comes through the white/filmy curtain that it's by.

light landing directly on it (without anything to filter it) will burn it. so you might want to move it somewhere so that it's not under the grow light - off to the side of the room maybe.

#92803 January 10th, 2007 at 07:39 AM
M
M
Listen to the above, I don't know anything about this plant, but I do sympathize!!!

#92804 January 11th, 2007 at 01:24 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks, I'll give those things a shot and let you know how it works out.

#92805 January 11th, 2007 at 09:29 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
light landing directly on it (without anything to filter it) will burn it. so you might want to move it somewhere so that it's not under the grow light - off to the side of the room maybe.
I'm glad I read this!
Mine is drying up bad and I didn't know why... shk

Link Copied to Clipboard