This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#92715 December 24th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
OP Offline
I can't wait!
Next year, my veggie garden will be the best! I leveled it off[the landscaping], I increased the overall size[by a few square feet], I added tons of compost, and in the spring, I will be adding gypsum to increase the drainage! thumbup grinnnn

How's yours doing?

--Mark--

#92716 December 24th, 2006 at 12:32 AM
Next year, my veggie garden will be the best!
Nuhuh! My garden will be the best! thumbup

Christina

#92717 December 24th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
OP Offline
laugh laugh laugh

I'm trying to do all the major landscaping preparations now, as last year, I was a bit delayed in getting my garden ready... laugh
I'll be sure to take pics! thumbup

#92718 December 24th, 2006 at 12:38 AM
I wanted to have all my landscaping preps done too but I've just been to darn lazy! Wish I had your energy!

I'll be expanding as well and adding more raised beds for my mators.
I still have no idea what varieties of tomatoes I'm going to grow. I'll have that figured out before spring though!

#92719 December 24th, 2006 at 12:52 AM
OP Offline
I have no idea what I'm growing either... I have to figure it out.... I need more veggie seeds... laugh laugh I want to have a mix of a lot of different things, eggplant, tomato, peppers, cucumber, lettuce, peas, carrots, and lots more! laugh laugh
I already have bell peppers[from Tammy], peas[from njoynit], and possbily radishes[from bestofour]! laugh laugh laugh

#92720 December 24th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
Mark, I have TONS of veggie seeds! I'll send u whatever you want if you like.

I'll be growing mostly veggies that I can freeze for the winter. Lots of broc, cauli, brussel sprouts, beans, etc. And I need A LOT more tomato plants next year...I can live off tomatoes!! No joke!

#92721 December 24th, 2006 at 06:20 AM
OP Offline
Christina,

you would do that for me! kissies

We can work out a trade! thumbup

--Mark[is happy]--

#92722 December 24th, 2006 at 07:18 AM
I have been adding LOTS of Cow Manure to mine, You can check with your local StockYard, I am sure they have lots to get rid of.

I also have located a LARGE supply of composted Wood Chips free for the taking. The city has a piece of ground were they dump all their wood chips, and I was told if I want any just let them know. I am taking about TONS of it, most of it is already broken down.

#92723 December 24th, 2006 at 12:56 PM
Mark...I have cucumber, Jalapeno, sugarbaby watermelon, Brandywine Tomato & Okra seeds if you want any of those to get started, Let me know by PM.

My garden is not anywhere near being ready, but I do have a good excuse, I have hurt my back again and have a bulging disk, so did not want to do anything to injury my back more. Will be starting treatments in a few weeks at a pain clinic, which should help me get back in shape and get everything finished just in time. Or if all else fails, I'll have to ask someone to come and finish up things for me, Because I will be planting and growing a garden, with or without back problems. And I also want to enlarge my garden by 15' ...making it 50'x65'

#92724 December 24th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Heck I haven't even finished clearin' mine all up..
I am hoping that Jan. will still be mild enough
and I can finally get out there *after mother leaves* and get out and finish cleaning it up...
*Keeping finger's crossed...*

#92725 December 24th, 2006 at 12:59 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Comfrey,
You snuck in on me while I was typin'...

#92726 December 24th, 2006 at 09:54 PM
J
J
Originally posted by badplanter:
I will be adding gypsum to increase the drainage!
I would think twice about this...

article

If you want to improve your soil's structure and drainage, add more compost....not gypsum. Good luck.

#92727 December 25th, 2006 at 12:49 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm a compost fan myself too... shocked smile thumbup
Can't beat it, and it's Mother Nature's own....
grinnnn angell

Does increase the fertility of soils,
and drainage, and gives pockets of nutrients
to soil animals and aerates the soil, and, and, and...
Did I mention, that I like COMPOST? flw

#92728 December 25th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
A good portion of the WoodChips the city has are already broken down. I will have to find a good spot to load from.

I have been out to where they dump the chips, and some of them have been their for years, so it should be some good stuff.

#92729 December 25th, 2006 at 02:08 AM
OP Offline
Amgatec-- that's very interesting kissies

John-- Thanks for the article- I just read it... it does prove a good point. thumbup

--Mark--

#92730 December 25th, 2006 at 02:25 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by badplanter:
Weezie-- laugh What did you say you liked again? laugh kissies
COMPOSTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! COMPOSTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! wink laugh laugh thumbup flw

#92731 December 25th, 2006 at 05:19 AM
OP Offline
laugh laugh laugh laugh

For some reason, I don't know where from, I get the urge and insistance that I use compost in my garden next year... Duh

laugh kissies

--Mark--

#92732 December 25th, 2006 at 05:44 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup p

#92733 December 26th, 2006 at 07:29 AM
OP Offline
Just wnated to show you pics of my veggie garden.. or at least where it will be...
[notice the pumpkins strewn all about randomly, carelessly, for compost laugh ]
It's hard to show the entire area by pics... laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
to the left of that is this:
[Linked Image]

Admire my woodwork for seperating the levels[the area was orginally on a slight slope, and there the roots for the tree nearby were to thinck to pull out--the wood will keep the soil for the higher level flowing to the lower level]:
[Linked Image]

#92734 December 26th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, question and statement..

First..
Questions..
Do you have access to a rototiller?
Or any straw?
Or heavy cardboard?

if you do to the first one, have someone 'till it up just abit..if you don't.. then throw on a layer of straw or wet cardboard..
*idealistically, you want to leave the straw out to weather over *IN BAIL FORM* outside, to kill weed seeds*

but the heavy cardboard, kept wet, will attract worms to your area...
*and keeps weed seeds off the barren soil surface*
and pre~pares it for the next coming season..

The Statement is...
Try to keep your garden, away from the back of the fence area.. you don't want to have toooooo nice of soil by where the base of the fence goes into the ground..and too much foliage by the fence can keep in moisture next to the fence you many not want on that..

#92735 December 27th, 2006 at 12:21 AM
OP Offline
I have access to cardboard... and lots of it...
I will go out and put that there today.. thumbup

Near the fence, in the corner of the yeard, was the only place available for my veggie garden... it gets the most light over there, and everywhere else I'm either not allowed to use, or doesn't get enough light or something else.. laugh

**I always loosen up the soil really really good come spring, if you were wondering... I've mentioned that I just leveled the area, so I kept it pretty compact for that**

Thanks, weezie!

--Mark--

#92736 December 29th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
E
E
Mine is ready also now. I had already lightly tilled the 6" of mulch from last season in. I was able to get the manure added and tilled in lightly finishing today just before moisture started again. Scattered some vetch seed I had on hand on before tilling. Would of been better earlier but hoping maybe I'll get some up early and it will have time to grow some before I kill it. We'll see. Now mine is ready except for maybe another spring tilling on some of it. But all the main work is done and when onions arrive in mid March should be ready to plant!!!!

#92737 December 29th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mine didn't even hardly get cleaned up... eek eek grinnnn wink laugh
Tooooooo busy with stuff!!!
If we are still mild enough,
*cause we haven't had hardly any snow*
***Of course now, I just jinxed myself by saying that***
but I'll get out there after my mom leaves for Fla.. and get some cleaning done..

Elkwc36, Have you ever planted as a cover crop any other type of seeds????
Very curious???

#92738 January 1st, 2007 at 10:49 PM
E
E
Weezie,
I would but I'm snowed in. It rained 1 3/4" here after I got done with the Garden Thursday. Then snowed around 8" with winds up to 45 mph. West of here the blizzard was really bad. We were without power for about 36 hours. Some will be out for a lot longer I hear. Hope you get yours worked before any bad weather. All the moisture should really be good on mine.
This is the first time I've ever even tried hairy vetch. Have used wheat, barley and winter rye as green manure crops before. Wanted to use a legume. It is supposed to add nitrogen to the soil. I probably should of waited to sow the seeds but with the way our winter is going wasn't sure if I would be able too later. It is just an experiment.
Happy New Year everyone. Jay

#92739 January 25th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
Mine is still not ready, with no possibility of it getting ready anytime soon. My ground is way to wet & muddy, I don't think it has been dried out since late fall. So until it dries out it can't be tilled or even planted, it has me a little worried. Always in early spring we have a 3 week period of rain, in order to get stuff planted you have to get it into the ground before the rain starts or plant late. Last year half of my potatoes rotted in the ground before they could even sprout from all the rain. I just can't believe this weather...too warm and rainy here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard