This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#92597 March 6th, 2007 at 04:40 AM
OP Offline
Why does he bite?

#92598 March 6th, 2007 at 04:55 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
He bites cause I rustle and move the papers in his cage. I think, he thinks it is a predator of some kind sneaking up on him, or else he is VERY particular about EVERYTHING in the cage being just where he puts it. Rabbits are NOT the meek, weak, timid creatures they are portrayed to be. They have curved, razor-like claws that can cut to the bone and their teeth are worse. But if you are gentle and loving and kind to your bunny he will never deliberately hurt you. They claw and bite ONLY if they think they are in danger.

Two Beans is NOT my first rabbit I've ever had. I owned dozens before I was married and he is the third I've had since I've been married. My first rabbit (named Rabbit) and Two Bean Bags are the BEST rabbits I've ever had. They were both males. Rabbit was a Belgian Hare, a very large, Brown Domestic Rabbit. My son, daughter-in-law, their 5 year-old-son and 5-month-old daughter live in our house with us. We bought Two Beans for our grandson. My grandson and I are the ones who take care of Two Beans and spend all the time with him. We are the three buddies.

#92599 March 6th, 2007 at 04:43 PM
OP Offline
Sounds like a happy houseful !
Today the gardener is removing the bed of ferns, so tonight's Saltflower's first night in the garage.
I'll leave the crate door open though.
She is really getting tame and comes close, but isn't affectionate yet.
If I pet her ears she doesn't run but she jumps and moves a few hops away from my hands.
The gardener thought I'd adopted the neighborhood stray rabbit to fatten up. I almost cried when I saw that that was what he immediately assumed.

#92600 March 6th, 2007 at 07:35 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
"How DARE he think such a thing!", Thorn says as he rubs butter and spices over Two Bean Bag's FAT, JUICY, Body!

#92601 March 6th, 2007 at 07:40 PM
OP Offline
YOU ARE NOT !!!!! laugh frown laugh

#92602 March 6th, 2007 at 08:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
hehehehehe wink laugh

#92603 March 9th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
OP Offline
Thorny, this morning she climbed a small tree. It was hilarious. Then sat in the branches awhile.
I didn't know they can do that.
Then she dragged her food bowl with her teeth across the patio.
She's never done these cute things before-I thought maybe she's calming down, knowing she's home, and is being her real self.
She is really cute. Really showing a cute personality. I've never had a rabbit and didn't know what they're like. I always assumed that they just sat around nibbling grass.

#92604 March 9th, 2007 at 09:52 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Rabbits have AMAZING personalities. They are VERY playful and mishievous, but always pull their pranks very straight-faced, like, "I didn't do nuttin'!" The way rabbits laugh is to jump up in the air while wiggling, squirming, and shaking their whole HEAD AND BODY. When a rabbit does that, it is LAUGHING. Two Beans laughs at me all the time. Today he has been sticking out his pink tongue and wiggling it at me. That means that a rabbit is asking you for something to eat and/or drink or begging for a snack. They LOVE sugar. Two Bean's favorite treats are Frosted Mini-Wheats, Gummi candies, or Dark Chocolate.

#92605 March 9th, 2007 at 11:09 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Rabbits also love to push or drag things around. Give Saltflower some paper to shred they LOVE to rip up paper and cloth. Climbing a tree is a new one on me but sounds EXACTLY like the sort of mischief they like to get into. Two Beans makes love to our dustmop (Literally! It is hilarious but embarrasing). I often say that soon we will hear the pitter-patter of little dust-bunny feet under the bed.

#92606 March 11th, 2007 at 02:57 AM
Can I "hop" in here with a question? I've heard that people let bunnies roam around like other pets inside their home, but how do you litter train them?
Just curious.

#92607 March 11th, 2007 at 03:20 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
They litter train themselves. They fins an area they like to use and they ALWAYS go to it. Two Bean Bags likes the back right corner of his cage. He prefers to stay in his cage 90% of the time but comes out an plays whenevern the mood hits him. It is best to keep power cords up where bunnies can't rach them cuz they like to chew everything. But otherwise they are a delight to have running around the house.

Planning on getting a bunny this Easter? I Highly recommend it. It costs about $20.00 a year to feed them and they are hilarious to interact with. I changed Two Bean's cage today and right now he is running around inside it happily tearing the newspaper bedding to bits. He ran up to the cage as I walked by and I reached in so he could "Chin" me. It is a rabbit's way of showing extreme affectation and love for something. (they rub their Mouth, cheeks and chin all over your hand.)

#92608 March 11th, 2007 at 03:47 AM
OP Offline
Thorny, how I wish Saltflower would like her crate.
Had a horrible day today-she found a small opening in the fence I hadn't seen, and it was a long and nervewracking morning getting her home safely.
Now she's on the hillside behind the house, clearly visible, and I can't get her into her crate. I even tried a fishnet butterfly catcher thing, and she just takes off running as soon as she sees it.
I guess the only solution will be buying a dog run and putting her food in it, and when she's in there, shutting the gate.
If I get the kind with a door, she could go directly from the run into her crate for the night in the garage.
I feel like I'm aging rapidly trying to keep this rabbit safe.
Sheesh !!!!!!

#92609 March 11th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
We've thought about getting one. Hubby is allergic to cats, so I'm not so sure a bunny would be any better.

My daddy raised "show" bunnies when I was little. I have fond memories of feeding them when I was little and peeking VERY carefully in at the little nekkid baby bunnies!

He still has lots of trophies from his shows. I remember there were some that would let me hold them and then others that were always skittish. Of course, if they didn't turn out to be a "winner" then they were dinner. grinnnn

#92610 March 11th, 2007 at 04:58 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Thorny has eaten rqabbits before, but likes them as pets only right now. Two Beans is especially affectionate and funny and is a great buddy.

#92611 March 12th, 2007 at 03:34 PM
OP Offline
Thorny, does Two Beans let you pick him up, or does he squeal?
You were right about how Saltflower would initiate the friendship-she is becoming as affectionate as a cat or dog AND now comes running when I call her name !

#92612 March 13th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Two Beans lets me pick him up all the time. He has NEVER squealed. Some times he struggles and kicks wildly if he thinks I will let him fall. But if I go slowly and reassure him he doesn't mind me picking him up at all and many times seems to enjoy it.

#92613 March 14th, 2007 at 08:22 PM
OP Offline
Today Saltflower came up to my feet, and touched her nose to my toes twice.
I took that as a sign of growing trust and contentment.
I sure hope she lets me pet her soon. She sure is cute.

#92614 March 14th, 2007 at 09:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
When she comes to you Deborah,
do you ever have any food in your hand?
Like some shredded carrots or shredded pears?
Something with a strong food oder....

She will not only smell the carrots, pears, apples, which ever you choose....
*cause they're shredded*
but she will then associate you with food!!! grinnnn

#92615 March 15th, 2007 at 12:13 AM
OP Offline
Yes, I hand her foods every day, and I make sure to talk calmly while I do.
She comes when I call.
I never knew rabbits have so much personality.
I'm really enjoying this new friendship.

#92616 March 15th, 2007 at 03:48 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
She touched your toes with her nose. That's part of, "Chinning", Deborah. She is marking you as someone she likes. Two Beans chins me several times a day.

#92617 March 15th, 2007 at 03:51 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Scratch her eyebrow ridges and the top of her nose as well as her ears. These are the spots Rabbits LOVE to be touched on. Avoid touching her mouth they don't like that although they like to rub you with their mouths but THEY not YOU have to do the mouth to skin contact.

#92618 March 16th, 2007 at 03:09 AM
OP Offline
She's OK when she comes to me, near my feet, and when I bend over to hand her food.
BUT the moment my hands come near, even from behind, she hops away a foot or two.
It's as though she senses my hands being too close for her comfort.
That's why I'm having a hard time getting her into her crate for the night.
She's still sleeping under a tree. It sure is worrying and frustrating.

#92619 March 16th, 2007 at 04:56 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Don't worry about it. Let her do what she is comfortable doing and eventually you may be able to get her to accept your accomodations. Two Beans and I took a nap together today. He snuggled up between my arm and my ribcage as I lay on the bed and we fell asleep together in that positon. It was WONDERFUL!

#92620 March 17th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
OP Offline
Thorny, I got her ! She's safe !
She went into her crate for her bowls, but stayed in-I walked quietly over and shut the gate and latched it.
Then I went back and bought back the pet enclosure, set it up for tomorrow, and from now on she'll live in safety. What a relief !
She's in her crate in the garage and the crate covered with a blanket except for the front for air and a view.
I'll set the crate in the "yardlet" each morning and let her out.
Sheesh, what a long road that was, huh?
BTW, the yardlet is 4 feet high-how high can a rab jump and should I cover it? I thought plywood for shade?

#92621 March 17th, 2007 at 03:36 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Four feet should be OK and plywood would be good, too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard