This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9238 August 1st, 2003 at 03:02 PM
P
PFC Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have a Norfolk Island Pine that I let get too dried out too many times. It got whitish stuff on top of the soil too.

But, I found a little tiny sprout on the top of one plant and nursed it back to growing.

But now there are translucent whitish worms crawling around on the soil looking like they are eating stuff on the soil. They are about the width of a pin and maybe 1/8 long.

I soaked with soapy water and dried the plant out outside. That did not work.

Any idea what these things are and how to get rid of them? frown

#9239 August 1st, 2003 at 04:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have provided a very good description of the fungus gnat larvae that live on decaying organic matter (roots, bark chips, compost) in the potting soil. Yes, the larvae
can be seen if you look carefully as you did. In time they will mature into adults with wings and you will have gnats flying about. Sometimes the gnats lay more eggs in the soil of other plants.

It is important to treat the problem now before the adults emerge and the problem
spreads. Here's how:

Scrape off as much of the top layer of soil as you can without damaging the roots. Allow the soil to become as dry as possible without killing the plant.

Add a thin layer of sharp sand or diatomaceous earth to cover the surface of the soil. These substances will physically carve up the larvae as they move toward the surface.

Another method is to place a half inch slice of raw potato on the surface of the soil. The larvae will go to the potato. Remove and replace the potato slice periodically. Eventually you will have removed all of the larvae.

#9240 August 2nd, 2003 at 03:59 PM
H
H
Hey Will,
Looks like you're repeating yourself! Guess I should have asked you about that on the public forum instead! As such, I've been meaning to email you back to ask you what diatomaceous earth is. I'm assuming I can find it at any plant store?

PFC, I just chatted with Will about this earlier this week. I have the same problem. Hope you're able to get rid of those suckers. There rather annoying once they turn into adults and start flying all over the place! At first I just thought I was seeing things!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard