This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9236 July 3rd, 2003 at 01:59 PM
L
LauraD Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Could someone tell me something about the balance of 20 year old cow manure and what plants would grow well in it.

Zone3,4,5 will grow here
LauraD

#9237 July 3rd, 2003 at 07:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Laura,
I do not know what the "balance" of 20yr. old manure would be, but, it's probly some pretty darn good stuff.
It may over time, if left out in the open where rain especially can get at it, some of the "nutrients" must have leached out, but for the most part it'll be like good black dirt...
We had 3 horses when I was growing up so I can tell you our poop piles are still around a bit, and I'd say, they were about the same age to be honest with you.
I can remember the grass growing from them, oh, such beautiful grass, (the seeds never compost going through a horses' system.....)
But we still go there and grab some to incorporate with my home made compost and I get the rabbit poop too (same age)!!
I would think anything that likes a nice, reasonable rich in nutrients, would still find it a great growing medium. Mix with some topsoil and some compost...... and plant away....How fortunate for you to have that.
Do you have it or someone giving it to you??I am a zone 5 here and so pretty much anything you're already growing should do just fine. However, some plants don't like a rich soil and can cause lankyness or just lush growtha and no flowers....

Hope some of this info helps!!!!!
Weezie smile

Link Copied to Clipboard