This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9227 June 9th, 2003 at 08:34 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Purchased a couple half barrels a few months ago...drilled holes...put rollers on and planted ficus,ivy and some other annuals. Looks great. I have this awful looking carport other than garage and RV garage that is built with PVC piping, covered with white mesh stuff and bolted into the concrete driveway. The mesh stuff is deteriating with the sun and according to my daughter it looks "getto" anyway. But guess who wants to keep her car cooler and seats in good condition etc. and is the first to park there. Yep, my daughter. Anyway the ? is I would like to purchase a few whole barrels and plant some kind of ficus or vine or something that I could get to cover the "getto" looking thing. What kind of plant/vine would cover and not make a huge mess with droppings.
2nd ? is do I absolutely need to make holes on the bottom of barrels for drainage. The problem is it discolors the concrete when watering. This is the problem I am having with the other 2 barrels. Any suggestions how to clean the concrete would also be appreciated. I have deep pink bouganvilla in the back but it is a real mess when they drop and the wind gets them. It is also very hot on that concrete during the summer months. It will get full sun. Thanks Catlover Karen confused :rolleyes:

#9228 June 12th, 2003 at 07:27 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
Did you ever get a vine for your "ghetto"?
And did you solve your drainage problem??????
Just curious!!!
Weezie smile

#9229 June 13th, 2003 at 07:33 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Thanks Weezie I thought everyone FORGOT about me. I want to hear more opinions before I go to the expense and labor of doing all that. What do you think? Will I drown a plant that way. Those barrels were made for wine and believe me they are water tight. Really don't want the mess on the concrete if you know what I mean. Idea!!! You know how Will Creed was talking about "subirrigation" why couldn't that be done in reverse leaving the ends in the air above the soil????? Anybody have any ideas???? Come on somebody has to have some thoughts about this!!! No matter how trivial you think your info or idea is will be considered. Need to find a solution!!!!!!Come on BRAINSTORM!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Absolutely confused on what to do!!! Catlover

#9230 June 13th, 2003 at 08:56 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
As far as the drainage issue, you could put 6-8 inches of small rocks (1-2") in the bottom of the barrel and cover them with nylon window screening or weed blocker fabric (to keep your soil from filtering down into the rocks) The problem with doing this is the possibility of overwatering and drowning your plants (especially during the rainy season when you lose control of the amount of water that goes into the barrel) You could drill a hole in the base area of the barrel (the rock layer) and add a threaded pipe fitting (sealed with silicone) to which you could hook up a length of hose to keep the water off the concrete.
laugh

#9231 June 13th, 2003 at 10:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
I was thinking of you the other day, we (mother and I) went plant hunting and I saw a big stack of half wine barrels, I read the directions on it that said about draining the barrel and having to cut holes in it.
Actually what Bill said is what I was thinking. (I have a wishing well I plant in) I do those stupid packing peanuts in a 13 gallon garbage bag. poke holes in the bottom, peanuts, and a sheet of landscaping fabric (that lets through the water, NOT Plastic.) Throw dirt on top that and plant.
I do the bag because I don't want the dirt on the wood of the wishing well, but it stays dry because of the top on it...)
But the idea of the hose on the bottom may very well work (something along the lines of the rain barrel collecting systems they have......
hoses out the bottom of the barrel...
Maybe inconspicuous..
You could put a regular pot or two in front of the hose to hide it..
I'm very interested in your final outcome.
wink Weezie smile
P.S. What about jasmine? Scarlet Runner Bean?
Cardinal flower? Have you looked any up?

#9232 June 13th, 2003 at 07:01 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Bill and Weezie I really love that idea!!!!! Wouldn't stain the concrete and plants wouldn't drown. Thinking about the Jasmine. I have some planted other places and that would incorporate well. oohhhh the smell would be great too. My other jasmine are next to my bedroom window and I smell them all night long. GOOD IDEAS!!!!! Okay this leads to another question....how do you propagate jasmine. The barrels are fairly expensive and would have to get a few. To cut costs I could propagate if that is at all possible. Thanx soooo much!!!
Excited to get started Catlover laugh laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard