This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92252 January 1st, 2007 at 06:17 AM
Mrs. B Offline OP
OP Offline
i got a pear tree that will not produce leaves but a few uptop and will not produce fruit it is very old and we keep it pruned i don't want to cut it down but the inside is hollowed out
Someone told me that i can put fertilizer on it to whip it back into shape is that true if so what fertilizer do i use or is the tree too far gone????

#92253 January 3rd, 2007 at 12:35 AM
P
P
Hello Mrs. B,

Very few pear trees are self pollenizer, so they would need cross-pollination from two or more varieties for good fruit set. Pears also need at least 600 hours of winter chill at 45*F or lower.

One function of the trunk is to deliver water and nutrients from the roots to the leaves. A hollowed trunk will surely restrict or limit the uptake of water and nutrients. But, in my opinion, your pear tree is still good; in fact, the typical life span of a healthy pear tree is between 60-75 years.

I have both Asian and European pear trees in containers and I use Super Bloomer fertilizer with an N-P-K ratio of 12-55-6.
The simplest explanation of N-P-K function is:
N=Nitrogen and it is used by the leaves
P=Phosphorous and is used in producing fruits and flowers
K=Potassium and is used by the roots.

The use of pollenizer and complete fertilizer with higher phosporous content may help your pear tree to bear.

#92254 January 4th, 2007 at 11:26 AM
A few selective pruning cuts may help.

Can you post a photo?

Check into mycorrhizae for the root zone too.

Mycorrhizae > one of many resources

There's a "do I need Mycorrhizae?" part on the menu. If you go there and type in your tree - like pear - it opens a message window. Looks like they can email an answer.

I know mycorrhizal fungi are incredible for many trees, but I'm not 100% how sure for pears. Probably more likely than not.

Did you know that Chanterelle mushrooms are mycorrhizal fungi? They don't grow underneath living forest trees for nothing. They live on the roots - with the roots.

#92255 February 14th, 2007 at 09:11 PM
D
D
Does the Pear tree flower in spring? Do you know what cultivar pear tree it is? Most pear trees do need another type of pear tree to set fruit, with the exception of a few.

#92256 February 14th, 2007 at 10:08 PM
I have a Bartlett Pear, and it is supposed to be fruiting, but does better with a pollinator. It is only a few years old.

Link Copied to Clipboard