This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9215 September 1st, 2003 at 12:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, this is a 2 parter...
I was at wally world today and got 2 plants off of the clearance rack. Yeah, the wal-mart in the next town over actually has a clearance rack for plants that aren't "pretty" anymore!
Anyway, back to the topic...
The first one was the cutest little begonia. I know they can be grown in the house, but don't know how. I don't usually like them, but this one was so cute and only 48 cents.

My other buy was another 48 center... it was a 6 1/2 in pot labeled with "Philo Hybrid". That is all it said. The plant looks likd of like a rubber plant, only without the center "stalk". The leaves are the same color and have the same overall characteristics. But they grow out of the center kind of like the leaves of a dracaena or spath. Any clues or help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch

#9216 September 1st, 2003 at 03:55 AM
S
S
Jiffy, do you know what type of begonia you have? Can you describe it? Most begonias do well in medium light, and I keep mine watered when the soil starts feeling dry.

#9217 September 1st, 2003 at 04:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jiffy,

There are hundreds of different Begonias and dozens of different Philodendrons. If you want to post or e-mail a photo, I might be able to help with an ID.

Keep both plants potbound and don't repot until they are well-established. The Begonia should be placed in a sunny window and watered as soon as the surface of the soil feels dry.

The Philo should be in bright indirect light. Allow the soil to dry about a quarter of the way down before watering thoroughly.

Best,
Will

#9218 September 1st, 2003 at 07:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, will take pics as soon as possible. Thanks for the info...

Link Copied to Clipboard