This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#91831 February 14th, 2007 at 01:17 AM
OP Offline
how much more benefical is it to start the seeds indoors rather than planitng them outside in the spring?

#91832 February 14th, 2007 at 01:39 AM
1. You can start your sets much earlier.
2. You can pick the strongest plants.
3. Some plants are only available as seeds.
4. You can take pride in growing your plants yourself.

#91833 February 14th, 2007 at 02:48 AM
I agree with everything that Pat stated. thumbup

I would like to add that by starting seed indoors, you can choose from a bigger variety. Also you can produce bigger seedlings and hopefully earlier production of fruit. It is always a very gratifying feeling when you start those seeds indoors and watch as they grow and then on into the garden to watch them produce fruit. Somethings do need to be started in the soil outdoors...like melons, cucumbers, okra, squash & carrots and many others. Some of the above can also be started a few weeks before your set out date. But tomatoes & peppers definitely need to be started indoors.

#91834 February 14th, 2007 at 03:09 AM
When I go down and buy sets, most places only have just a few varieties, and normally not the ones I want.

I "may" try starting my own onion sets. When I get my full size greenhouse up this is something I want to try.

#91835 February 14th, 2007 at 04:23 AM
It seems to me that in all the postings that I have read (and I have read a lot of them) that yall prefur seeds to store plants. I grew up with the plant being brought home and I think now I see why ya'll prefur seeds to plants.

#91836 February 14th, 2007 at 04:04 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I do. I like watching the whole process from seed to harvest. And I think my plants are healthier than the ones I've bought from stores. Plus I don't have to worry about bringing home bugs.

#91837 February 14th, 2007 at 10:30 PM
Another plus is that you know what your plants have been treated with--you know what pesticides (if any) have been sprinkled all over your plants, what fertilizers they've been fed, etc.

#91838 February 15th, 2007 at 01:15 AM
C
C
My season is so short if I plant seed after the may 24th long weekend or the first full moon in may I will not get fruit - the seedling are 6 to 8 weeks old at this time.

#91839 February 15th, 2007 at 02:35 AM
J
J
Only one benefit I see from planting seeds....you can grow the varities that YOU want to plant.

#91840 February 15th, 2007 at 02:37 AM
There are probaly 1000 differrnt types of tomatos, but the local plant may only offer 6 different sets.

I like to look for different veggies with certain features, and about the only to find them is with seed.

#91841 February 15th, 2007 at 02:46 AM
A
A
I've only started seeds last year, but really enjoyed it. The biggest problem I had was moving them outside for hardening off prior to planting them. I've, hopefully, learned some lessons and will limit my container size to ease moving them from my basement to outdoors. The way I did it was I put the plants outside for about an hour or so the first day then increased that time little by little until they were spending most of the day outside. To continue giving the plants sufficient light I had to drag everything back into the basement which ended up being a lot of stair climbing... Regardless, I'm planning on starting some seeds inside again this year.

#91842 February 15th, 2007 at 07:22 PM
When I start my hardening off process..the first day I put them in half sun half shade, and I do not move them back in doors, just move them to all in the shade, until they can take a full day of sun without wilting. Since I have 20 cats...I have a wooden frame that has chicken wire on it that I can place my plants in, to protect them from the cats. The top and bottom of this wire (cage) is open, I place a board over the top to keep the plants safe...I can also water them with out any mess, since they are in their flats sitting on the ground...I can control the shade/sun that they get and once I have them in the cage..they stay there until I am ready to put them into the ground.

#91843 March 7th, 2007 at 05:40 AM
A
A
So you are saying that I don't need to bring stuff all the way inside to harden it off? That would be great! I figured that it would be way to much of a shock for them but if not, woo!

Also, holy 20 cats batman! smile

#91844 March 7th, 2007 at 03:41 PM
As long as the night time temperatures are not below 50..then there is no need to carry the plants in and out...Just make sure that you put them in a protected area, like protected from wind, rain & full sun for the first few days.

#91845 March 7th, 2007 at 03:55 PM
20 cats???? 20??????? kit

#91846 March 7th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
We would like to start all our planties ourselves. This spring would be our first year. We have gardened for years but I'm a bit nervous to try seedlings. Does anyone have a link to some basic, simple knowledge like how to make them sprout, what size pots to use, what kind of lights to use, stuff like that?

I just need to read a primer on it before I start. grinnnn

#91847 March 7th, 2007 at 10:38 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
There's one more benefit to raising your own seeds. If you have kids or grandkids, you can involve them in the process. I've yet to run into a kid who doesn't get excited at the idea of growing their own seeds. My grandkids each chose giant sunflowers for their seeds to grow for this year. We have them in peat pots for now and they can't wait to plant them out in the yard. They are also looking forward to watching the birds eat the seeds from them. Can't beat that with a stick wink

#91848 March 7th, 2007 at 11:19 PM
FYI: I was able to answer my own question, talk about synchronicity!! Just after I asked if anyone knew a link I could click on for a primer on the basics of starting plants indoors, I just happened to find this while doing something completely different. Well, not completely different because it was about gardening but I wasn't looking for this and I found it anyway. If anyone else needs to know some of the bare bones basics, a good overview starts about 3/4 of the way through page 1 and continues for all of page 2.

Link to page with some basic how-to\'s if you want to start your own plants from seeds

It's from my area, northern South Dakota, but I imagine the basics remain similar for anywhere?

And if there's a better resource that anyone knows of, I'd still like to see that too. I like to read the same thing 4 or 5 times before I do something. grinnnn

#91849 March 8th, 2007 at 02:01 AM
A
A
Stuspot, here is my experience with starting seeds, it may not be as helpful as others but I had relatively good success...

#91850 March 8th, 2007 at 02:34 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know of one thing I learned last year. If you use egg cartons for your starter pots plan on watering alot. I whole lot. The same for peat pots. I'm staring everything in yogurt cups this year. It may take more soil but at least the water doesn't evaporate so quickly.

#91851 March 9th, 2007 at 10:13 PM
A
A
I'm using yogurt containers too! The Yo Crunch ones work great because they have a nice lid, I guess Dannon would work too.

#91852 March 9th, 2007 at 10:45 PM
Hasnt anyone mentioned saving tons of $$$MONEY$$$ by starting your own plants? That's a big reason for me, plus all the intangible spiritual benefits. angell

#91853 March 9th, 2007 at 11:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I know of one thing I learned last year. If you use egg cartons for your starter pots plan on watering alot. I whole lot. The same for peat pots. I'm staring everything in yogurt cups this year. It may take more soil but at least the water doesn't evaporate so quickly.
Tammy, I buy smoked porkchops and they come in a plastic tray, and I wash those in the dishwasher and use them as water trays under my seed starting 6 pks...

I then fill those with water the first start up of seed starting..
They need alot of water to soak and moisten up the dirt..

Then after that, I fill, not to the top, but just enough to keep the soil moist..

That might be a trick that would also help you keep your egg cartons' moist and not so dried up..

(I also get cucumbers on those styrofoam plates like, and use those as well~)

#91854 March 10th, 2007 at 12:21 AM
M
M
Cool way to easily water those egg carton planted seeds is to line a plastic container like a cat litter box with a piece of deep pile carpet (scraps from carpet store dumpster). Be sure you have pinched a hole in bottoms of the egg carton depressions and then place the cartons on the carpet and water. Won't have to water very often and soil will take only what it needs. I place my trays on top of my freezer and have a nice heat source. Shop lights hung from the ceiling are my light source. I raise and lower via a small link chain. Bent coathanger wire hooks allow me to raise and lower lights.

#91855 March 10th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
Originally posted by 'Sparagus:
Hasnt anyone mentioned saving tons of $$$MONEY$$$ by starting your own plants? That's a big reason for me, plus all the intangible spiritual benefits. angell
This can be true...But if you are just starting out, you have the expense of the seeds, soil, containers..which could equal out to how much plants would cost, but if you save seeds from the first year, then you have saved $$$$$ the second year. People can go a little crazy when ordering seeds. I save garden seeds and have for many years, but I still buy some seed each year & have to buy potting soil and a soil-less seed starting medium. So if I had to add all this up, I really don't think I am saving that much $$$$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard