This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9180 December 17th, 2003 at 04:03 PM
C
ck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Someone please help. I received a beautiful jade plant from my aunt. It is huge. I left it in my garage because it was too big to carry in!! However, it started to get cold and my husband noticed that the stems all drooped. We brought it in right away. All the leaves are on the drooping stems, however it has been 3 days and nothing is happening. What should I do??

#9181 December 17th, 2003 at 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First CK, let me welcome you to The Garden Helper! There are many knowlegable folks here are are nice and friendly. Some will offer lots of ideas for you, including myself. now...

Originally posted by ck:
Someone please help. I received a beautiful jade plant from my aunt. It is huge. I left it in my garage because it was too big to carry in!! However, it started to get cold and my husband noticed that the stems all drooped. We brought it in right away. All the leaves are on the drooping stems, however it has been 3 days and nothing is happening. What should I do??
about your jade plant. if you haven't lost any leaves, and the stems are droopy, but firm, then you are ok. The plant will take a few more days or even weeks to recover. The important thing is to do the following:
1 - situate the plant in a draft free area that gets LOTS AND LOTS of light.
2 - DO NOT overwater. let the plant dry between waterings and make sure that the pot has drainage holes and does not sit in the water that drains off.
3 - DO NOT fertilize. jades need very little fertilizer anyway, and during the winter and when under stress, feeding them will only make it worse.

Jades are personally my favorite plant and I hope your's makes it. Keep us posted and good luck.

#9182 December 18th, 2003 at 12:08 AM
C
ck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally posted by ck:
I thanks jiffymouse for your suggestions. What happens if some of the stems are a little squishy?

#9183 December 18th, 2003 at 12:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would take leave cuttings and make babies out of them. if the leaves aren't mushy too. if they are, cut them back to good firm stem. that won't hurt the plant, only the aesthetics of it. jades are very forgiving of being pruned hard and will sent multiple stems from the cut area. you did say that only parts of it were droopy, right?

Link Copied to Clipboard