This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91713 October 11th, 2003 at 06:07 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I thought we had some info on how to properly
send the seeds through the mail, flw or Nikkal or Tina Dunaway or njoynit or
Someone that sends seed through the mail regularly.

Let us know!!
gab Weezie gab

#91714 October 14th, 2003 at 10:59 PM
F
F
The way that I've always done it was to use a small (depends on the number of seeds) bubble envelope. If I'm doing a SASE I include inside the envelope a label with my name and address, a note telling what seeds are being requested and .49 cents in postage. If in doubt about how much postage to use/send then just use 2 stamps. This will get your seeds to anywhere in the US.

Always use a bubble envelope to insure that your seeds arrive without being crushed. Bubble envelopes do not go through the postal machines...hence the extra .12 cent charge for handling.

#91715 October 21st, 2003 at 06:22 PM
make sure your seeds are taped up well in their lil package& is nice to lable all growing info you know about if you have it.there are seed templates online that you can print up and tape up or can just cut your junk mail up and do the same with just tape up and have marked.is a post in here on seed template sites you can bookmark these or save the templates you want to use then can print up without going online.works2000 has a blank seedpacket template included in thier program

when I send my addy i always include my 4 digit postal code so i know my mail gets sorted where it belongs.i make sure my addy is plainly seen.i tape my envelopes closed
on envelope or on a piece of paper included i always list what was traded for& most times even include a surprise seed inside.they can grow or trade on.& always include e mail so they can contact
let them know you recieved trade.sometimes we wonder.i save my e mail till i know they recieved trade sometimes i will save them and on comments will state what they grow that i like for a future trade or do a latter trade again at christmas
i strongly believe in bubble envelopes for mailing they are stronger,they hold up you can cut in half and re use repeatedly.I love to trade seeds and they grow better if travel safe.would you fly on a plane on the outside of it it?
also on stamps...do ya know that licking a stamp is consumeing 1/4 of a calorie...LOLI couldn't resist..LOL do not cover stamps with tape.the PO don't like and they don't like you re useing stamps or canceled stamps you should have your envelopes weighed or have a mail scale at home.you can get a postage chart for mailing here
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm you can also caculate for mailing plants and craft items on this also.you should bookmark.you can order stamps to be delivered to you also
i have what i call my postage box.is a plastic box with lid that has stamps/tape/stapler(2 sizes)staples (2 sizes) a few loose coins.i have 34 cent 37 cent 3 cent 5 cent 10 cent stamps1 cent ones.i have a trashcan full of bubble envelopes that i re use constantly& when i mail out plants i always take a priority box home with me so have it all ready when at PO.i have some candy hid here as well
i think that covers all

#91716 October 21st, 2003 at 06:44 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Thanks njoynit,
You have been a big help!!

FYI;
I posted a pretty good sized list of seed
templates on a post here on the seed forum.
Go and access it, you'll be in 7th heaven going
to all the places to get them.
Some or so cute......

LINKS TO SEED TEMPLATES

That reminds me, I"ll have to find out from Bill
if I emailed him a blank template, or if I was suppose to tell him what size I wanted?? Duh

I like 4 to a sheet, most seeds are tiny.

Did you take a peak at them yet???

Weezie

Let me know what you think and if you know of another URL I can post!!
Thanks Again!

#91717 November 8th, 2005 at 05:00 PM
D
D
Always remember to put a note in with your seeds. Who it is from, and your email, so they contact you when you receive. Also if you are sending stamps for seeds or a plant, please put in there what the stamps are for. I am always getting stamps inside of a blank envelope, and have to search then. Fortunately, I keep a seed exchange folder on my yahoo site, and it save me time. Also for extra knowledge, you know that people with Celiace disease can't lick stamps! The glue is wheat glue, and can make them very ill....I have Celiac.
Darlene

I recently mailed out seed in regular envelopes. I wrote "Handle With Care" on the envelopes, and asked the postal worker if that was enough...he said, "I'll hand stamp it so it won't get machine stamped." He acted like that would be enough. The cosmos seed I mailed probably wouldn't have suffered much from a little rough treatment, though.

Link Copied to Clipboard