This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91509 January 29th, 2007 at 02:02 PM
G
GD Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi All,

I planted some tomatoes a while back, and the last number of days the leaves have been curling inwards and the tomatoes have been turning rotten at the bottoms of them ... and I don't know why.
I've been watering them daily and fertilizing them as well.

What am I doing wrong ... can someone help me ... thanks

#91510 January 29th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
Too much sunlight? Not enough sunlight? Is it warm enough for them? How's the drainage in the soil?

--Mark--

#91511 January 29th, 2007 at 02:29 PM
J
J
Is the foliage yellowing? Definitely sounds like blossom end rot on the fruit. Which is usually from either too much water or too little. Have you been fertilizing daily??!! Are they in containers or the ground?

#91512 January 29th, 2007 at 04:58 PM
G
GD Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi,

It's summer here in Australia, so it's been pretty hot ... but I do water them daily.

I don't fertilize them daily ... but i do on average about once a week.

As for the foliage yellowing ... it is definitely yellowing.

How much water am I supposed to be giving them??
Oh and they are in containers, about 30cmx30cm.

Cheers

#91513 January 29th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
For those of us metric-ly challenged 30cm is almost 12 inches.

Here is a very good place for tomato problems: Tomato Troubleshooting Chart The rot on the bottom of the tomato is more than likely blossom end rot (BER). Although commonly believed to be a calcium deficiency in the soil, a lot of research is beginning to show that the calcium deficiency is in the plant (not soil) and is caused by irregular watering. Paste varieties of tomatoes are especially prone to BER, I think because they make so darn many fruit at once and it stresses the plant.

Yellowing leaves could be a lot of problems, pics sure would help if you can get them. Are there any spots on the leaves, any evidence of bugs/caterpillars? What kind of tomato are you growing? Determinate, Indeterminate, paste or slicing? I think you're pots may be a little small, but I'm not sure...I'm sure someone else can shed some light on that one (we have many tomato experts here).

Good Luck!!

#91514 January 29th, 2007 at 10:42 PM
J
J
Sounds to me like Blight. Have you removed the bottom stems from the stalk? I always remove them so the plant can get some air circulation. If they need calcium, crush up some egg shells fine and mix with used coffee grounds and sprinkle around the plants then water. Not too close to the stems, you really want this in the soil. I always use this mixture in my area where I am going to plant tomatoes. The "blight" if that is what is is will go away if the bottom leaves are removed.
As far as the leaves curling, do you notice that before they are watered, because I have found if you watch your plants, they will tell you what they need. Curling to me means it needs water.
Have you inspected the leaves, under the leaves, to make sure there are no insects? Lot's of questions. But I could mean that they need water twice a day if it's that hot and if they are in containers. Container plants require more water because they dry out faster.
Hope some of this helps. But do try the mixture of used coffee grounds and egg shells, always works for tomato plants.
joyce

#91515 January 30th, 2007 at 03:35 AM
G
GD Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hrmm ... yes, so many questions.

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera to take a picture of the leaves with ... so hopefully, my description will be detailed enough.

The follage: there are no spots on them but there are holes and of course the yellowing.

They were under a 'shed' where from about am-12pm the sun would hit it directly ... and it has been extremely hot lately and I've only been watering them once.

I moved them out of the shed and to a place where the sun won't be hitting them too much.

I think te containers may actually be a bit too small for the tomatoes ... but will i have to repot them?? If so, how would I do that without killing the plant?

Ceers

#91516 January 30th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
It's probably so hot that the plant is aborting its fruit just to survive. The leaves are curling for the same reason. I had this same thing happen last year when we stated hitting weeks of 100*+ weather. I have never seen BER any other time.

Best to just keep the plant alive and when the weather improves you may still see some fruit. Tomatoes are weeds that can withstand a lot of abuse, but they need reasonable weather in order to produce decent fruit.

#91517 January 30th, 2007 at 05:06 AM
The holes are probably from tomato hornworms-do you see any light green catarpillars?
Little inchworms? They can be very tiny and hard to see.

#91518 February 7th, 2007 at 03:11 AM
Blight comes on when we have no sun for a while then it comes out and the plants just aren't used to it..
Ihave green tomatoes inside right now..I did have some white fly ..But the leaves are green.
I spray them and it gets better.. Mine dry fast .

d

Link Copied to Clipboard