This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91482 March 14th, 2007 at 12:54 AM
Jillbc Offline OP
OP Offline
Good day all,

I have a quick question and was wondering if anyone could please answer...
I currently have a pothos that hasn't grown all that much in the 3 or 4 years that I've had it. I have repotted it recently in hopes that would spark some growth(it hasn't), but my question is this: would it be okay to plant another,quite flourishing, pothos in the same pot? The good pothos is in a 4"(roughly)diameter container.

Thanks for any insight someone can lend!

#91483 March 14th, 2007 at 03:15 AM
wavey

As long as the new pothos has a little growing room when you add it to the old one and that should make it more full looking.

I'm kinda surprised to hear your other plant isn't growing, they usually grow like weeds!
Maybe it just needs more brighter indirect light??? Water???

I have mine in wast window where it gets mostly bright indirect light but it also get a little bit of sun before going down. (not enough to burn the leaves)
kit
Mine gets very little fertilizer, just a few drops in the water once in a while in the spring and summer months.
It also on the rootbound side and gets a really good long drink when it's dry. It seems I'm always clipping it back.

#91484 March 14th, 2007 at 03:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i wouldn't add a nice healthy plant to a pot with a plant that's not doing so well.

you need to determine why the orginal plant isn't thriving - very unusual for a pothos!!

can you post a pic of it?

what kind of pot is it in? what about the soil? how much sunlight does it get? how often and how much water?

have you looked at the plant and the soil to see if there are any bugs?

#91485 March 14th, 2007 at 12:24 PM
joclyn i was thinking the same thing

#91486 March 14th, 2007 at 08:34 PM
My pothos grow like crazy!!!! I cut them often and root those cuttings, making new plants. I have them all over my apartment in all kinds of light. I try to remember to water them once a week. If I forget then they let me know by looking a little limp, then I water them. They are in pots with drainage. Other than that, they seem happy with whatever I do to them. Very hardy, can't seem to hurt them. I can't imagine one NOT growing!

#91487 March 14th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another plant if her older pothos that wasn't growing because of a possible light or water issue (as long as the pot size and soil are ok) that it would be fine to plant another one in with it and try giving it more of what it might need to flourish better.
I have done this myself when I first started growing plants yrs ago and eventually both plants did well.

#91488 March 15th, 2007 at 01:25 AM
Jillbc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everybody.

The old pothos gets bright, indirect light from an east and south side window. The plant is about 10' from the window, however.

I am unsure what soil blend it is in, although I recall recently transplanting with a type called Soil-lite (?).

There is no drainage hole, but I do not water all that often - 1x every other week.

Would it be best to remove the old plant and start fresh with new pothos? Can anyone recommend a proper soil blend?

Thanks again...oh and i don't know how to post a pic!

#91489 March 15th, 2007 at 04:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you need to upload pics to a hosting site and then link to the pic.

i use photobucket.com they have a free and a pay service. it's VERY easy to use their site as they provide the code info for the pic once it's uploaded.

use the IMG line info to put pics in your posts. in fact, when you click in the field, it auto copies so all you have to do is click in the reply box and paste it!

pothos don't like to be waterlogged - maybe that soil is holding too much moisture? or maybe the soild doesn't hold enough moisture...

did the plant start failing before or after you repotted it with the new soil?

how much water do you add? every other week should be generally okay for pothos...if it's not getting proper water when it IS watered, tho, that might be the reason it's not growing too well...you've got it in good enough lighting, so that's not why.

#91490 March 16th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
Jillbc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Joclyn wink !

Posting photos should be no problem now; I am already set up on a hosting site. Thank you for letting me know how to do it.

The plant has actually never "failed"; it just has never grown! This has occured every since I owned the plant. Thinking that it may be pot bound, I replanted it. That didn't solve the problem.

So would you recommend putting another in with it or remove the one that isn't doing good and start fresh with the new one?

Thanks again!

#91491 March 16th, 2007 at 01:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i would keep the one that's not doing well. for the moment anyhoo!! i'm sure, between all of us here, that we can figure out what's wrong with it!!

put the second one in a different pot.

oh, and post some pics of the one that's not doing too much. maybe by seeing it, something will click and we'll find a solution for you!

Link Copied to Clipboard