This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91467 March 17th, 2007 at 05:55 AM
OP Offline
A while back I had been reading about all about other people's stories and questions about trying to grow an avocado. So I got a bright idea and decided to try this for myself. So I took an avocado out of the fridge and removed the pit, stuck it with toothpicks and put it in some water. There it stayed for many months, growing roots, then a stem, then a couple of leaves. I honestly thought it would never get that far. So after it grew a couple sets of leaves I decided to put it in a pot and plant it. To make a long story not so long, here is an updated pic of my avocado (which I've named Fred by the way). I'm very proud of my little tree!

plants%20and%20gardening/DSCN0699.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#91468 March 17th, 2007 at 06:30 AM
P
P
It IS a beautiful little plant. Maybe you can pinch off the top to get bushier growth!

#91469 March 17th, 2007 at 06:58 PM
Awesome ! I have a pit in water now.
It's just beginning to crack.

#91470 March 18th, 2007 at 12:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
teech did you know, avocados are actually very large trees suitable for kids to climb in, in their native environment? they are beautiful shade trees, and remind me of multi-branced magnolias with their leaf litter.

i'd love to have one again, but not sure they'd survive our winters. i used to have a pic of my daughter sitting on the lowest branch of one!

#91471 March 18th, 2007 at 02:10 AM
We had one my mom started when she got hitched to dad, it grew, and grew, grew...then us kids came along and we needed a rope swing, so guess where it went...the avocado tree, I use to climb it up till I was about 13 years old (yes I was climber), but because we lived in S.F. Calif, it never got fruit on it. At my grandparents farm (Hawaii) they had so many avocado trees with fruit on them, us kids would climb the different ones and 'bomb' each other with the fruits, trying to knock each other out of the trees. dangerous, yes...fun, absolutly!!

Link Copied to Clipboard