This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91401 October 26th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
OP Offline
Today I received a wonderful gift From a past co-worker . She came to my job today and graced me with this HUGE devil's back bone.. I already have some but on a much smaller scale than what she gave me ..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the one I already had .., very small in caparison
[Linked Image]

go here to read about it.....
http://www.sd1new.net/GardenPages/devilsbackbone.htm

#91402 October 26th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
Wow...That is some plant that was given to you, was it something they had a long time? Very nice looking and that was interesting reading about it on that page.

#91403 October 26th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kissies thank you diane for posting that. beautiful!

#91404 October 26th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
OP Offline
She's had it several years and she is elderly and puts it outside every spring and summer and says it just got too big for her to bring in and out and she knew I had one and like them so she gave it to me she retired about 9 years ago.

#91405 October 26th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
Oh that was sweet of her to give it to you!!! She knew you would give it a good home!!!

#91406 October 27th, 2006 at 06:06 AM
OP Offline
Comfrey..... I emailed her a pic of it and where I put it she is very pleased with it's new home, she told me she has never fertilized it and only added more soil to the top of it each late fall when she brought in house from under her shade tree each year, soo I'll do the same.. thumbup

#91407 January 2nd, 2007 at 10:55 AM
Angel Blossem, my mother had one that was about the size of yours. I read that they can get to be 6 ft in height, height by comparison to pot size. So I planted it outside (Central FL), it got to be a bit bigger then your gift. Then Mom moved it and she lost some of its size but it has come back just not as big. I got a clipping from hers and planted on the north side of my house, under my bedroom window. That is what brought me to this web site, it was only green and white when I planted it last year. This year we have already had a few "cold" nights, I was looking at it today and seen that it now has red on the outer edge of the leaves, I was worried that the cold had hurt it. Not!!!
But it is branching out-- 3 clippings-- now have 12 branches and is about 18-24 inches tall. My Boyfriend's mother wants a clipping from me, She loves the way it looks.
By the way we both are Christians ironic!!! angell
And now I'm looking for Devil's Shoestring. perpl

#91408 January 2nd, 2007 at 09:39 PM
My cuttings are doing good.I had 2 get wilty on me when it got cool.(someone shut pantry door all the way....)I can also see where my cuttings got removed from...lol.Your new huge plant is awesome

#91409 January 5th, 2007 at 10:24 AM
OP Offline
Debbie,,, I have never planted in ground I'm too chicken!!! BUT I Do understand when it gets cooler the leaves turned pinkish red .., the leaves I have now closest to the window are now pink edged ..

AHHHHH Good eye Njoynit!!! If you want some more let me know I have learned to let them callous over then dip in root medium and then mail with a little soil and do not enclose in a tight bag because they WILL wilt and mildew quickly eek I sent some to Amber P in Canada twice the first time it failed the second time It took and they are growing!!! thumbup thumbup

#91410 January 5th, 2007 at 10:45 AM
They are growing.I've watered them with root starter besides the rain they recieved outdoors till their move to the pantry.They got wilty the 2nd cold spell so I moved them to pantry.I only lost 2 stems...lol And While they grow........will give me time to come across a pot for them(I just don't understand WHERE all my pots go....surely not the DOG!)

#91411 January 5th, 2007 at 11:03 AM
OP Offline
Ohh Good I'm glad ato hear they are making it!!!

Ah Hemm could be the dog ...,Ya think??

Link Copied to Clipboard