This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91393 February 16th, 2007 at 04:01 AM
OP Offline
Hi! I've been looking and looking for epimedium's and I just can't find any to buy on the internet. frown How common is this plant? Is it something I"ll be able to find at the local nursery? Because there are only a few places online that sell them. I was wanting to grow them for groundcover under an apricot tree. Do they produce viable seeds, so that way I could get a few more plants for less $$? It's really odd that I can't seem to find them online... shocked

Thanks!
sarah

#91394 February 16th, 2007 at 06:19 AM
H
H
Call local nurseries and ask if they usually stock epimedium. If you want a specific variety they may be able to order it and give you a price estimate. Check locally first and then compare to online orders with S/H.

www.premiunplants.net has a wide selection of groundcovers and usually has several varieties of epimedium. I have two other sites that I cannot locate at present but will look for if need be.

Epimedium can be divided. Usually every two to three years. seeds from a named variety of epimedium could produce a plant that will not resemble what you have.

#91395 February 16th, 2007 at 01:03 PM
OP Offline
Can you order from that site? I don't think that I can... I didn't see anything indicating how to order or anything like that... I'll bug some local nurseries, maybe it's something they'll carry when it gets to be growing season again.

#91396 February 16th, 2007 at 04:39 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Sara,
Try:

plantdelights.com

They offer a dozen different types of epimedium. I've ordered from them before and had good luck.

Marleine

#91397 February 16th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the site, MLN, I'll have to check them out!

#91398 February 17th, 2007 at 02:25 AM
H
H
--Sarah
thumbup for pointing out premeium plants is not selling online. That is my third source no longer available for mail or online orders.

Marleine has provided you with a source I referenced - PDN - or plant Delight Nursery. I could recall PDN but not the full name.

Be aware PDN stock can grow in a zone with quite a different climate condition than yours. Cultivar stock is not affected by climate growth, while species stock could be. PDN has two informative articles on climate and zone planting and can help with zone issues.

The second site is Hallson Gardens: www.perennialnursery.com - It has two epimedium varieties. Under the perennial link, click on epimedium to read of a possible virus problem. Might be of interest to you as this plant will go under a fruit tree.

Garden Watchdog has rating and feedback for both.

#91399 February 17th, 2007 at 03:16 AM
OP Offline
plant delights is an expensive site!! I prefer the prices on the Hallson Gardens site. Lol. I still haven't called the nursery here yet... I hate talking to people I don't know. (Yes, I see the irony.)

I don't know where I'd be without garden watchdog. I just love that service, it is soooo helpful. I won't even browse a site until I've checked with them.

Thanks for your help herbalyn. I think I'm going to have to research that Tobacco Rattle Virus a little, I'm already growing some Hostas to put under the tree, and I read that they are susceptible also.

Sarah

#91400 February 17th, 2007 at 03:19 AM
OP Offline
Holey moley. I am floored at how positively rated hallson gardens is rated. There is not a single negative or neutral response. I know I'm impressed. If I must order epi's, it will be from them!

Link Copied to Clipboard