This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91331 January 25th, 2007 at 01:50 AM
OP Offline
I was told NOT to water these at ALL during winter, is that true?

Thanks!

#91332 January 25th, 2007 at 01:55 AM
wavey

I was actually reading up on them just this afternoon, asking to myself the same question... thumbup

#91333 January 25th, 2007 at 04:33 AM
OP Offline
wavey Hi Bad,

Oh wow, I didn't know that! I thought if they didn't get water in the winter, or very little, they would get watered like other succulents, during spring, summer and fall months!
So, I should water during the spring months when dry, then just a little bit in summer, fall and winter, that is, ONLY enough to prevent shriveling?
Have I gotten that right? wink

#91334 January 25th, 2007 at 05:30 AM
S
S
i orderd seeds so im learning too!

scroll down and it tells ya how to take care in house soil,water web page

#91335 January 25th, 2007 at 06:19 AM
M
M
Here's some info. For these plants shriveling is good, at the right time of year. I could never keep mine alive/growing/blooming more than 2-3 years. Best of luck to you!!!

http://www.smale1.demon.co.uk/grow_lithops.htm

lithops

#91336 January 26th, 2007 at 12:49 AM
OP Offline
Great! Thank you all for all the information. I'll read over all the sites given and hopefully I can keep these alive for a while. The ones I bought a few years back sadly didn't live very long. eek

#91337 January 30th, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DowntoEarth:
wavey Hi Bad,

Oh wow, I didn't know that! I thought if they didn't get water in the winter, or very little, they would get watered like other succulents, during spring, summer and fall months!
So, I should water during the spring months when dry, then just a little bit in summer, fall and winter, that is, ONLY enough to prevent shriveling?
Have I gotten that right? wink
Yea the rock, ice, or mimicry plants (Mesembryanthemaceae) are all very difficult plants to have good luck. I currently have 3 clumps of “baby toes” Fenistaria (spelling) sp., Glottiphyllum olgicarpum, and Pleiospilos simulans… my baby toes went the entire sweltering Texas summer almost 5 months with only a few waterings. And as soon as winter came along they shrived immediately demanding water (LOTS OF IT)… soon afterward they flowered and will want water until early spring (march April) and are currently sending out offsets and new leaf pairs. But that is different for my Glottiphyllum… which wants ample water all spring, summer, and fall (flowering period occurs during the fall). But my Pleiospilos simulans, only required water during spring with the onset of lengthening days. All genera of these plants and even species have STRICT watering schedules sensitive to photoperiod & temperature… this is what makes them so hard to grow, they also rot easily to use a soil mix low in humus and high in gypsum, lime and sand…and use deep (tall) containers… and allow water absorption from the bottom…

#91338 February 6th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
B
B
What my friend taught me was to wait until the leaves are squishy before watering, and then ONLY WATER A LITTLE BIT. If the leaves are firm, no water is needed. I planted it in very sandy soil. That was about 5 years ago and my jade is doing well, though it's time to transplant to a bigger pot again (hasn't done much growing in the past year). I'm afraid to put it in a bigger pot because it'll be a lot harder to bring inside during frost warnings...

#91339 February 6th, 2007 at 03:30 PM
S
S
Originally posted by DowntoEart wavey Hi Bad,

laugh laugh laugh @ mark! laugh thats to funny!

i have yet to start my seeds! eek

#91340 February 6th, 2007 at 03:54 PM
I havent tried to grow any but i think they are just the coolest things....good luck everyone.

#91341 February 8th, 2007 at 07:36 AM
S
S
thanks penny
now that wally world got their garden stuff out im hopin to get soil for the living stones, grinnnn those seeds are so small they look like specks!

Link Copied to Clipboard