This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9117 May 31st, 2003 at 07:59 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Ok, I have a privacy fence in the rear of my yard. It actually belongs to the neighbors behind me. Over the past few years, the neighbors, have completely neglected their plant growth on the fence. So that now my husband and I are faced with a 7' high leaning fence of plant onto our property, completely covered in Ivy, honeysuckle, and whatever else hands onto it. Finally, my question, is it possible to cut major portions off of the ivy, and directly plant it into another piece of yard? I would like to transplant alot of this stuff onto my front yard where I have an eroding hill and where no grass dares to grow. Can I just cut the vines, and dig holes and bury the stems? Will they root? Thanks for any replies, I'm trying to do this before that daggone fence falls over and becomes an escape route for my dogs. And P.S.- the neighbors don't really care about this fence or it's rampant growth, they are renting and and take much better care of their trash cans than the proerty. Thanks again! :rolleyes:

#9118 June 4th, 2003 at 05:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
chicachow, I found a site that I think will help you out.....I am pretty new to computers and don't know how to post it so you can just go there from here but the site is www.ivy.org/clon.html I hope that this helps you!!!!!
smile

#9119 June 4th, 2003 at 06:31 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Both ivy and honeysuckle can be propagated by softwood cuttings. Unfortunately the cuttings are only going to be 6-12 inches... You can divide ivy plants at the roots...
ivy web page
softwood cuttings web page
honeysuckle web page
more about ivy?
I hope these pages will help you!
smile

#9120 June 6th, 2003 at 04:27 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Bill,
Thanks, I did find that webpage after i posted here. I sent a question to them , and they replied within 2 days via my email. They were very helpful and thorough. I must say, as stubborn as I am though, I decided to conduct my own experiment. I made a softwood cutting with minute roots on the vine and planted it, and I also took another cutting and placed it in water. I'll see which does better faster. Thanks for the post, you guys are great and so helpful!

#9121 June 6th, 2003 at 04:29 AM
C
OP Offline
C
loz,
Oops! I forgot to say thanks to you also for your post! I have learned to be able to come here for good advice, and be respectful to it. Thanks loz!

Link Copied to Clipboard