This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9104 December 27th, 2003 at 04:59 AM
M
murat Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi.. I have a 7 feet long Dumb Cane. after seeing some pictures on Internet now i feel like i have the tallest Dumb Cane so far i have seen.
It's been a great plant, but yesterday i noticed very close to the pot there is a very large dry whole on it's body. i can see there is now only an inch that it can keep him standing. i had laid him to a tall stick. so this is how it stays standing.
i am sooo sad. i do not want to see him dying. every leave is so healthy but soon there will be no connection to the pot. i am sure this is a sort of sickness, it is eating him each day. i took the photographs that i'd like to ask your opinions. please help me if you have heard anything about this. i am willing to send you small jpeg images of it's sickness.
it is a beautiful plant and had experienced lots of problems before it came to me. and i believe i took a good care of it. now i need your help, what to get, what to do.
hope to hear from you..
here are the links for the pictures. there are 3 pictures in 3 links here.

picture 1:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek.jpg?bfT7O7_ALCbBsJK1

picture 2:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek1.jpg?bfT7O7_AjfdrqpaD

Picture 3:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek4.jpg?bfT7O7_AKhWUj5UF

thanks,
Murat

[img]http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek.jpg?bfT7O7_ALCbBsJK1 [/img]

[img]http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek1.jpg?bfT7O7_AjfdrqpaD [/img]

[img]http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/6937418/bc/my+plant/cicek4.jpg?bfT7O7_AKhWUj5UF [/img]

#9105 December 27th, 2003 at 05:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Murat wavey
First off I wanted to let you know your pictures
didn't come out, There's a place that several of our gardeners have is something called Web~Shots and they've worked pretty good.
I'm sure there's a few other's that can also tell you how to post some as well.

But we're Glad to have you here.
I personally don't know how to cure your plant,
but there's alot of house plant gardeners here
that I'm sure can give you some tips and steps to
take to help you're little plant....
Bill, Will Creed, Tom R, Boxmonkey, Jiffy, Nikkal,
Njoynit, GardenZealot, Lizheaemma, Phil,(????)
oh, there's a bunch....
But if you just stick around and give our gardeners a chance to come around.

If you do a FORUM SEARCHwith that name,
it seems I've seen that name come up a few times,
it'll give you some of the times they've talked about it, and maybe a GARDEN SEARCH too with the same name will also turn up something..........
Bill's got alot of good information here on the site.... thumbup

Stick around, enjoy the site, feel free to look around and join in on any of the sections that interest you... We've started a couple of new sections recipes, crafts and hobbies and banter hall for just some good ole chatting!!!

Weezie

#9106 December 27th, 2003 at 06:48 AM
M
murat Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi thanks for your message.
i just went and fixed the problem about the picture links. I hope it works now. please check it out.
Yeah, i will wait for an answer to my trouble.
I hope too that some one will give me a good suggestion that i can rescue my plant.
thanks again.
Murat

#9107 December 27th, 2003 at 06:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, point me into the direction to look??

I clicked the ones' you had before, still nothing.

I'll take a peak at it again tomorrow morning...

In the mean time, some one should be through tomorrow or in a day or two, usually not that long...

As long as you have the email notification button clicked, you'll get notice when someone answers you!!! Never fear, some one will come along......
Bill or Will maybe the first on the scene tomorrow.

Thanks for being patient.
And thanks for caring about your plant......
Do you have other house plants too???
Just curious!!!
Weezie

#9108 December 27th, 2003 at 06:21 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey

Hi murat,
I see no~one's come through, give them some time, they all log on at different times...............
Here's some information from Bill's pages right here on the care of them, you said the cane was
6 or 7 ft.... it has some info on it, that you can probagate it.....
I'm sure Bill, or Nikkal will be through in a bit, Nikkal I think does this, she's got something else probagating like this I'll see if I can find where she had posted some pictures on it.
Give this a good reading.........
I did a GARDEN SEARCH and alof info came up.
and so will the FORUM SEARCH>>
Did you do those??

Culture and Care of Dieffenbachias

Weezie

#9109 December 27th, 2003 at 07:28 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Hi Murat!
You can do an air layer just about anywhere on the cane (well above the diseased area) to save your plant. Will Creed wrote a very good description of the process here ----> https://www.agardenersforum.com/old/ubbthreads.php/ubb/nolongerexists?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000348#000003
Do a forum search for "air layering" and you'll find a few other discussions about it!

#9110 December 27th, 2003 at 09:10 PM
M
murat Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thank you Weezie thank you Bill.
this was very helpful.. i thought maybe there was a medicine or something that i could rescue the roots and the way it is. air layering i will read about it.. thanks again.
i got the page, (i had seen it but did not read very carefully.. now it is the time)

thanks again.. i will send you the pictures of how everything worked..

smile

#9111 December 27th, 2003 at 09:31 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
And we absolutely love luv
progress reports!!!! lala

Weezie

#9112 December 28th, 2003 at 04:50 AM
Hi Murat! wavey
I haven't had a chance to welcome you yet, so - Welcome to The Garden Helper!! You'll love it here! thumbup Lots of friendly, knowledgeable folks here!!
My favorite way of propagating dieffenbachia and dracaena fragrans (corn plant) is by log cuttings. Bill explains this method at the very end of his page of Culture and care of Dieffenbachia. I've tried rooting the top, and airlayering, they both work well, log cuttings allow you to use the leftover stem, and you get lots of new little plants! Plus, it's low maintenance, a big bonus! wink

There's a pic of some dracaena log cuttings I'm currently rooting, you can do exactly the same with your diff.

[Linked Image]
Dracaena fragrans log cuttings

If you have any other questions, please let us know!!

Nikkal

Link Copied to Clipboard