This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90849 February 23rd, 2007 at 03:31 AM
OP Offline
There seems to be a bit of conflicting information out there on this. Would you guys please share your opinion/experiences with these plants? They will be going on the southside of an apricot tree with about an 8 ft. canopy from the trunk.

Wild Blue Indigo
Bleeding Heart
Crazy Daisy
Purple Coneflower
White Swan Coneflower
Shasta Daisy
Coreopsis Early Sunrise
Garden Phlox

Feel free to share any suggestions!

#90850 February 23rd, 2007 at 05:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've got purple coneflower and i have to say, they do much better in a high-sun area. also, they need good air circulation to grow properly.

i knew that to begin with...i split mine out this past season and found out that where i moved some of them to doesn't have the best air circulation (they grew and flowered - they just didn't get as tall as the others). previous and new locations all get sun virutally all day long.

afaik, the shasta daisy need a good amount of sun too. i just got one this past season, so that one is a bit new for me...i put it in a spot where it gets sun starting about noon and then on through sunset.

can't help with the others

#90851 February 23rd, 2007 at 09:49 AM
I know from a costly experience that Garden Phlox really need a lot of air circulation and sun too, unless they are some of the mildew-resistent variety. Powdery mildew ruined several of my favorite varieties of pink Phlox! mad ters ters

#90852 February 23rd, 2007 at 05:09 PM
OP Offline
Air circulation in KS is not an issue. Typical summer breeze is around 20 mph and that's on a "calm" day! There won't be much of a wind-block for this garden either.

So I guess I'll put several of those plants out in full sun. Now I just gotta figure out what to put in their place.

#90853 February 24th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
Sarah, have you ever thought about using Astilbe? wink I have several of those in my shade garden and they add a little color. flw smile Of course, I love the foliage, too! luv

#90854 February 24th, 2007 at 04:11 PM
OP Offline
I actually had thought about using Astilbe. But I've been reading a lot of books about garden design and I think that the foliage is too close to that of my "accent" plant. After doing some reading, I've totally re-vamped my shade garden using these plants (listed from back to front).
Great Solomon's Seal
Bleeding Heart
Japanese Painted Fern (Hosta's on either side)
Wild Ginger

Plus off to one side, there will be some liriope and black violas, and the other side will have coleus and columbine. Oh, and I've got these lily of the valley that my hubby buried under about 4 feet of sand that I'm going to dig up and put over there too. Let me see if I can get my layout uploaded...

#90855 February 24th, 2007 at 04:17 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

#90856 February 24th, 2007 at 07:44 PM
H
H
Consider adding Lungwort to your bed, it has large deep green leaves with white spots and would give some texture to the fine or spiky foliage of the bleeding heart and liriope.

Re-think lily of the valley if near enough to this bed to invade it. It can become a real problem. Its good for around a shaded utility pole or in a pot sunk in the ground.

Although tempting, it is hard on an established tree when plants are added under its canopy. Avoid damage to any feeder or stabilizing roots. trees require lots of moisture, any perennials will need extra attention. A few inches of mulch on the finished bed will benefit tree and perennial.

#90857 February 24th, 2007 at 09:06 PM
OP Offline
herbalyn, do you think that the spots on the foliage of lungwort (what a name!) would distract from the J. Painted fern, which is the only "light" colored plant in the garden? Or does this just add visual interest? Thanks for the tip about the lily of the valley, I hadn't realized they were invasive, mine are very well behaved (*neglected).

I had planned on using a few bales of alfalfa, broken up, for mulch, which a soaker hose under that. Plus will be getting about 2 inches (at most, so as not to suffocate the tree) good topsoil to help out both tree and perennial.

#90858 February 24th, 2007 at 09:57 PM
Sarah, your new garden plan layout looks great and I think you've chosen some good plants for your Shade Garden. Duh until a few years ago when I was digging to put in some new plants and was shocked shk to see the spiderweb of roots from the lily-of-the Valley. Geesh, they were everywhere! eek

#90859 February 25th, 2007 at 01:58 AM
H
H
All shade gardens need some foliage or annual flowers with white or pale lilac to brighen the area and draw in light. Consider lungwort as a focal point surrounded by the bleeding heart for texture and to make the "hearts" pop. As bleeding heart dies back lungwort is there to fill the space. Place out the containers before planting and rotate light and dark foliage to your liking. Look at coral bells when you purchase your plants. Plum pudding is burgandy with silve markings. plant with ginger on either side to break up all that green.

I am a fan of soaker hoses. They are under the mulch in all my beds.

Avoid adding a layer of topsoil under the tree canopy. Do you have access to compost? It may be available from a local nursery. Even a few buckets would be better for the planting holes than topsoil. If you can't find compost then stick with the alfalfa. Add in 2 inches layers, let soil critters break it down and add as needed to maintain a 2 inch layer.

Your shade garden will be a cool oasis come the heat of summer.

#90860 February 25th, 2007 at 03:41 PM
OP Offline
I was using the japanese painted fern (silvery colored with wine stems) as the focal point for my garden with lots of medium-coarse textured plants to help highlight the fine foliage of JPF and the bleeding heart.

I absolutely love coral bells. The caramel one is my absolute favorite but I couldn't think of a way to work it in without throwing off the scheme of things, visually.

How do you keep your soaker hoses in place? Mine very difficult to situate and usually don't stay where I put them. I was thinking of cutting up some wire hangers into U shapes and using those to hold them in place.

The soil under the tree is difficult. NOthing grows there now because it is extremely compacted. I was hoping to rake the soil a few inches down (not tilling it, just trying to loosen) adding the topsoil so I wouldn't have to disturb those feeder roots.

#90861 February 26th, 2007 at 01:49 AM
H
H
On a warm day uncoil the soaker hose and lay it on a concrete drive or sidewalk. When the hose warms up straighten it out. May take a few trys.

I used to use snipped wire hanger corners to hold the hose. Wal-Mart has U shaped heavy wire garden staples. They come in a white cardboard box. The staples are also good to hold row cover.

Make a slight trough in the soil, lay in the straightened hose, pin down with a garden staple and cover with mulch. The soaker hose in my rose bed has been in place 5 years using this method.

Choose your plants at the nursery and take them to a spot where you can set out your design and study it. You may find room for the caramel coral bells between the ginger.

#90862 February 26th, 2007 at 05:33 AM
Coral Bells are beautiful and so light and airy! thumbup I put several in my shade gardens last year - 'Palace Purple', 'Key lime Pie' and 'Peach Melba'. Actually, I had only planned on buying one to replace the Helleborus that I lost, ters but you can never just buy one! laugh laugh laugh The next one I get will be 'Amber Waves'! smile

#90863 February 26th, 2007 at 02:07 PM
OP Offline
herbalyn, thanks so much for that tip! I have had these soaker hoses for 2 years now and haven't used them because I couldn't get them to uncoil. It was really frustrating not being able to get them to lay how I needed them too.

Patches that is exactly what I'm afraid of. I really don't want to go back to my nursery when they actually have the plants I want. We are trying to garden "economically" and it's really difficult not to say, ahhh the heck with it! And buy everything I want!! Lol. Thank God for seed exchange, or we'd be very broke.

#90864 February 26th, 2007 at 11:52 PM
I really don't want to go back to my nursery when they actually have the plants I want.
Sarah, I know what you mean because I feel the same way. eek It's probably better if I avoid those places but sometimes that's so hard to do. frown They have such pretty and interesting things there. laugh laugh flw

#90865 February 27th, 2007 at 03:04 PM
I have that problem too Patti....you can never buy just one...you need a pair to keep eachother company, or thats what i tell myself laugh laugh thumbup flw flw

#90866 February 27th, 2007 at 05:16 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by penny in ontario:
I have that problem too Patti....you can never buy just one...you need a pair to keep eachother company, or thats what i tell myself laugh laugh thumbup flw flw
I always say that I need at least 2 plants, that way you get a nice area of the pretty plant. And, really, you need to buy 3 because, what if one dies? That way you are guaranteed 2 non-lonely, matching plants. laugh

#90867 February 28th, 2007 at 05:07 AM
really, you need to buy 3 because, what if one dies? That way you are guaranteed 2 non-lonely, matching plants.
Oh, Sarah, you're certainly my kind of person and I love the way you think! kissies I believe this is an excellent idea and very well-thought out! wink wink laugh Geesh, I would be foolish not to follow such wonderful advice. laugh laugh laugh

Actually, one of the principles of landscape design is to plant flowers in odd-numbered clusters (e.g. three, five, seven, etc.) for better visual impact. thumbup

#90868 February 28th, 2007 at 05:14 AM
OP Offline
I believe this is an excellent idea and very well-thought out! wink wink laugh Geesh, I would be foolish not to follow such wonderful advice. laugh
Now, if I could just get my husband to say that, I would be one happy woman! grinnnn He looks at the price and says, "put the plant down and slowly walk away." And I'm thinking: DO WHAT? shk

#90869 February 28th, 2007 at 10:27 AM
He looks at the price and says, "put the plant down and slowly walk away." And I'm thinking: DO WHAT?
Sarah, I can understand that feeling because it's so hard to walk away from a plant you like, frown but husbands are sometimes a tough hurdle to jump! laugh Maybe you can make a "Wish List" and he could use it when he wanted to buy you a special gift. idea

#90870 March 1st, 2007 at 06:41 AM
S
S
Originally posted by patches1414:
I know from a costly experience that Garden Phlox really need a lot of air circulation and sun too, unless they are some of the mildew-resistent variety. Powdery mildew ruined several of my favorite varieties of pink Phlox! mad thumbup

#90871 March 1st, 2007 at 06:52 AM
S
S
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
[Linked Image]
i love how you did this!!!! laugh you should see the ones i made with 'paint' in my computer laugh looks like kids drawings!o-well i understand it!

#90872 March 1st, 2007 at 08:41 AM
fight with the mildew. you gotta get it right at the start. i spray mine down with 4 tabspoons baking soda, 2 tabspoons, murphys oil soap [or dish soap] in 1 gal of warm water. it works wonders!!!

Thanks a bunch, Sibyl! Duh

Whenever I buy any new Phlox I've been going with the mildew-resistant ones, wink but I'm not about to get rid of the other ones in my garden. frown frown

#90873 March 1st, 2007 at 02:45 PM
OP Offline
Sibyl, I'm glad that you like my little graphy thing. I have nothing better to do with my time. laugh I actually was going to use 'paint' to make mine but then I remembered a site from that statistics class that has an easy, easy application for making graphs, so I made one, copied it into word and then used the cute little 'drawing' toolbar to make everything else. It's really easy to do, especially if you like to tinker with things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard