This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90697 July 22nd, 2005 at 08:05 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
We just got 8 - one of the tenants was lucky enough to be at the Scotia Bank (one of the branches) when they were having plants put in outside.

There were two boxes too many so he and his son carted them home.

I've already 'winged it' and put one pot of them in the ground.

Here is a pot of them . . .

[Linked Image]

What are they and what am I supposed to do with them? They look a lot like my kalanchoes to me. And if they are, then the lobby is going to have a lot of plants this winter.

#90698 July 22nd, 2005 at 08:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I would say what you said, that Kalanchoes things
Definately!!!!!!! thumbup

#90699 July 22nd, 2005 at 11:19 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
And I think there are different kinds of kalanchoe - ohhhhhhhhhh! Did I really want more kalanchoe? I have scads of it.

But these are pretty. And they're putting them in the outdoor planters at the bank plaza? Hmmmm . . . they are not supposed to go in the ground in northern climates.

Well, I've planted one potful now - I'll see what it does. The others? I'll just place them around in their pots, I think - it's hot enough for desert stuff.

#90700 July 22nd, 2005 at 12:09 PM
they are not supposed to go in the ground in northern climates
I belive landscapers generally dig up and pitch stuff every few months...they won't have to worry about surviving the winter - if that's why they're not supposed to go in the ground up there. Duh I dunno nothin about calanchoes colaccios ----can't even speel it LOL! wink

#90701 July 22nd, 2005 at 12:59 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL! But I shouldn't laugh - at one time I owned a lot of them and had no idea what they were called.

I bought two little stubs of it in 95 at a church bazaar, put them in bigger pots and they exploded. At the end of each summer, I re-pot my table garden to go inside - I end up with so much of this stuff - at Christmas I used them for gifts. Little pots of kalanchoe and everybody is still marveling at their little flowers.

This one is a different kind, I think. When I saw the box, I thought 'gee, that looks more like my kalanchoe than anything else - just another kind.'

Well, I'll see what the one pot does in the ground. Another one was given away - I have six left - like I say, I'll put them in various places and leave them in their pots.

Then I'll have to get 'em ready for coming indoors. Ohhhhhhhhh!

#90702 July 22nd, 2005 at 01:06 PM
Eh - go on and laugh. Colaccios wasn't even a good attempt at trying wink

It's cool looking though - is it a succulent?

#90703 July 22nd, 2005 at 08:04 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep - I read somewhere that they're desert plants, but I dunno' - a site I looked at last nite said the cultivation of same got started in Madagascar and then somebody in England started raising them for the house.

Yeah, succulent, I guess - I've never had a problem with overwatering or underwatering. They grow like weeds too. Just get one plant, watch it grow, break it up, then yadda yadda, you got yerself a lineup on the windowsill - they bloom whenever they feel like blooming - winter too - as long as they have good light.

Link Copied to Clipboard