This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9067 May 8th, 2003 at 08:52 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hello. We live in zone 6/7. I was given an Aloe Vera plant a couple of months ago. What are the temperature's for an Aloe Vera plant? I'd like to plant it outside in my herb garden for whatever months it would flourish. I'm not sure when a safe time to put it out would be, and to take it back in.

Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks. Diane

#9068 May 10th, 2003 at 08:51 PM
R
R
Diane,
Aloes are native to areas that are warm to hot, but not necessarily moist. There are over 300 different species. They will not take frost. Many can be damaged by temperatures below 40ºF. Keep them inside until the weather is warm and settled.
Rick

#9069 May 29th, 2003 at 11:30 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi, Rick. Thanks for replying. The weather is warming now. Are temperature's of 65 and over alright? It just hit in the 70's today - finally! LOL.

Another question: I was going to put the Aloe in my herb garden. Now I'm wondering if that might be too moist for it. From what I've read, they prefer dry conditions. Would it do well in the herb garden? Or would I be better putting it outdoors in a pot of some sort?

Thanks!

#9070 June 6th, 2003 at 03:25 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi, I thought I'd post an update, in case anyone is ever interested in how this is going smile

I put the Aloe in a sunny spot in our yard. It's been raining a LOT here. I did put the Aloe in my herb garden. I also recently put mulch down.

The Aloe took a serious turn for the worse. So, I decided to plant it in a pot on it's own, without mulch. I put it in a spot that is has a bit more sun. And I put rocks all along the top around it, and around the entire pot top. There are small spaces exposing the dirt, also. I just tossed them around the top.

It is doing MUCH better. I have to check on it again, since we received a LOT more rain since it perked up. It appears the herb garden area, with the mulch was just too moist for it. Even without the mulch, it was too moist an area, as I try to keep them well watered.

Well, that's the update on our little Aloe Vera plant smile

Link Copied to Clipboard