This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90624 March 7th, 2007 at 11:05 PM
OP Offline
I've been wanting to grow pears for a very long time but have put it off as I am not too savy when it comes to planting fruit trees. I'm curious to know when the best time to plant them would be. Do they require shady or sunny areas? The difference between types of pear trees. Any first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

#90625 March 8th, 2007 at 02:49 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I know you need two different types of pears in order for them to cross polinate. I like bartlett pears best. We planted ours in the spring in Western Washington zone 5. They require full sun.

Are you thinking about the dwarf or regular types of fruit trees. The dwarfs I know need 10 feet between trees. I believe the regular take 20 feet between trees.

Also remember to look up pruning and if you have to knock off flowers when they bloom. I know you have to with apple trees if you want to have a good harvest every year. Otherwise you will only get a harvest every other year.

Good Luck, I wish I lived in an area where I could grow fruit trees again. It was fun.

#90626 March 8th, 2007 at 03:29 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I have an online site I have ordered some of my fruit trees from (got real nice healthy trees). In the description for each tree, they tell you which trees you need for cross-pollination, which would be useful whether you buy from them or locally. They list their pear trees under Asian Pear and European Pear. I planted all of my fruit trees in the spring but they could also be planted in the fall. The site is:

http://www.burntridgenursery.com

#90627 March 8th, 2007 at 06:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks all! That website is great! I ordered a Highland European Pear and a Comice European Pear. I'm looking forward to fresh pears as store bought just isn't the same. I hope they work! flw

#90628 March 8th, 2007 at 08:59 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
You're absolutely right--homegrown pears just can't be beat. But then homegrown ANYTHING can't be beat clp My entire little fruit orchard (apples, pears, figs, peaches, plums, and grapes) is looking real good so far this year. I plan to add a big bed of strawberries next year (I hope!) Best of luck to you with your pear trees.

#90629 March 9th, 2007 at 01:02 AM
I have a Barlett pear that about 6' tall, it did grow one small pair last year.

#90630 March 9th, 2007 at 10:11 PM
D
D
I have about 18 varieties of pears in my home orchard. They do taste better than store pears, but there is a trick to picking them. Do not let those pears fully ripen on the tree (except for Asian & Seckel Pears). They will taste bad if you do- they turn astringent. Pick them green, but when fully grown in size- a few on the tree may already to start to turn color. You need to ripen them off the tree for best flavor. You do not need to thin pears like you do with apples, although fruit will be bigger if you do thin. Anytime the ground is workable you can plant pear trees in late winter or spring.plant in Full sun. You usally need 2 different kinds of pears for pollination, although some are self fertile. Prune your trees well before they leaf out- preferably in late winter for fireblight reasons. Fireblight is a disease that can decimate a pear tree. It is at its worst during spring wet weather. Look into some limb spreaders for your trees too, as they tend to grop upright close to the central leader.

#90631 March 11th, 2007 at 08:52 PM
OP Offline
Wow! This is good to know. As I am new to this, I'm a little worried about pruning the trees. Any suggestions on technique or some "do's & don't's" ?

Link Copied to Clipboard