This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone! My neighbor gave me a plant today that she had planted in with another. She started it from a cutting originally. Does anyone have any idea what it's called so I can know how to care for it?

Also, we had to rip the roots on it pretty badly since it was planted in with another plant, will that hurt it a lot? Some of the roots were ripped pretty short unfortunately. frown

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/BananaTwirl/unknownnew.jpg?t=1164501603[/img]

Sorry, I don't know what that is.....but I love how interesting those leaves are!

Hi gardenkitten, wavey

You have a young Philodendron bipinnatifidum - also known as - Philodendron selloum,
young enough that it is not yet exhibiting the deeply cut foliage typical of a mature specimen.

This photo shows a young plant, much like yours.

They go by many common names, including "tree Philodendron", "Cut-Leaf Philodendron" and "Saddle Leaf Philodendron".

This site (Floridata) has lots of info, including pictures of mature plants.
Enjoy your new plant. grinnnn

**edit to add:
I don't think you'll have any problem getting it to grow lots of new roots. wink

OP Offline
Thank you so much for all of the information, Zuzu! I really appreciate it! I'm especially happy to know that the roots will have no problems growing back!

R
R
it looks like the dwarf variety xanadu

Wow, Zuzu, glad you posted-I thought that was an elephant ear. The ones that get so big and grow outside.

I like the trunks of the mature ones....they look awesome!

Thanks for the links ZuZu!! I have one and was wondering how large it would get and also how to propagate.... As usual- you rock! thumbup

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

Link Copied to Clipboard