This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9025 December 15th, 2003 at 01:01 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Can a pencil plant take full sun planted in the ground?

I know they have a very sticky white substance that is supposed to really burn when touched! Hope the cats don't rub on it!
kit

#9026 December 15th, 2003 at 02:16 AM
Catlover -
If the "Pencil plant" you are referring to is Euphorbia tirucalli, then yes, it prefers full sun. Contact with the milky white "sap" does produce skin irritation, but the severity depends on individual sensitivy. All parts of the plant are mildy toxic if ingested (usually sickness only). It is hardy to temps as low as 25* for short periods. smile

Nikkal

#9027 December 15th, 2003 at 04:19 PM
I have two pencil plants (one green, one red) that didn't do too well in full sun here, but they are loving partial shade. Maybe I have hybrids?????? Duh

If I get accidently stuck with the thorns from any of the euphorbia varieties that have 'em, the site inflates like a balloon, and itches like mad...I'm REALLY sensitive to them... shk

#9028 December 15th, 2003 at 05:42 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Hmmmm mine is green....I will have to look and see if there are any thorns....don't remember any! :rolleyes:
kit

#9029 December 15th, 2003 at 06:25 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Good Morning Catlover,

How do you like the nip in the air we have this morning? Loved that misty rain yesterday.

I went out a snapped a pic of our pencil plant and have posted it on webshots. Look in the folder named Newest Mother, etc.

Look in Newest Mother, etc.

The second plant in the purple pot we thought was a pencil plant, but now Jillie isn't sure. The first plant is in the shade and the second plant get full sun. We had the first plant in full sun, but it didn't do well. It has tripled it's size in the shade.

Let us know if this is what your plant looks like. This plant doesn't have any spines/thorns. Jillie was referring to her reaction to other euphorbias that do have them.

Warm Regards,
Your Hollywood flw

#9030 December 16th, 2003 at 08:53 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Hollywood thanks for the clarification on the euphorbs....
Thats it exactly!!!!! Yeppie!!!! Okay I will try a chunk in semi shade and the rest in the sun cactus garden... during the winter this one part of the garden doesn't get much light but during the summer watch out!
I love your pix....I am just in awe everytime I see them....don't have much time today but I will definitely be back many times to "steal some of your ideas".
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
thumbup

#9031 December 16th, 2003 at 10:06 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Hi catlover,

You are such a Dear! We do adore working in this garden and making it as enchanted as we can. Please feel free to "steal" all the ideas from our garden that tickle your fancy, the more the merrier!

When we have a sunny weekend I plan to take my new camera and do some single shots of our many potted plants and more of the garden whimsy that we have not posted to webshots. I will let you know when to take a look. grinnnn
Be sure to let us know what happens with your pencil plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard