This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90111 January 28th, 2007 at 01:56 PM
J
OP Offline
J
My lucky baboo shoots have gone yellow and feeble, even though the leaves on top are still green, a second one is turning yelloe from the bottom? it has enough light, not too much, and is in water. Is there a common disease they fall fowl to?

#90112 January 28th, 2007 at 07:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've also got one that is turning yellow...have no idea why.

#90113 January 28th, 2007 at 08:10 PM
I keep all of mine out of any direct light and have never had a problem. My mom had hers in her living room which got pretty btight and hers turned yellow and died. I believe they are more of a shade plant and don't like direct light. Maybe try moving it to another area that gets less light and see what happens?

#90114 January 28th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
Mine doesn't get any light at all... it's actually sitting on top of my piano... it's a very dark green... it's very rootbound though, but that doesn't seem to be stopping it... it's in it's little pot that I bought it in.. Duh thumbup

I'd try moving it out of light, and maybe waiting for it dry dry completely before watering it again... I let it dry out, than fill it with water[and the water sits there], then when it drys out, i just water it again... works for me?!...

Here's what mine looks like:

[Linked Image]

Good luck! thumbup

#90115 January 29th, 2007 at 03:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they can be in indirect light.

the one i've got a problem with is normally in a north facing window - was fine for almost 5 years in that spot. since it started having a problem i've brought it down to the kitchen where the other one is - and i put it in a different container as the one it was in had some algea growing in it...i don't know why the algae started growing -- AHH HA! just had a thought...i know why there's algae in the other container!!! a tree across the street fell down in a storm during the summer...guess that window gets more light than it used to!

ahh, nice to have the mystery solved! i hope that stalk survives!!

anyhoo, if you've got the plant in water only, then you should never let it get bone dry...that will cause the leaves to yellow up from lack of water.

#90116 January 29th, 2007 at 11:21 PM
If the stalks have gone yellow, they maybe dead. Especially if they"re squishy and begin to grow mold. Don"t worry Dracaenas (which the lucky bamboo is one) can have their moments. These plants easily rot from water-logged soil or stagnant water. If your lucky the sprouts may re-root themselves in the dead tissue of the stalk. If not death maybe around the corner.

#90117 January 31st, 2007 at 03:44 PM
I read someplace recently that they can only live with *just* water for so long and then you should put them into soil... hm.. have to see if I can find where I saw that again...

-Manda

#90118 February 1st, 2007 at 01:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
probably read it here. if you add fertilizer to the water (or do what i've done, use water from the fish tank to refill it) you can keep them in water a long time. otherwise, planting them is almost always best.

Link Copied to Clipboard