This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90079 February 23rd, 2007 at 02:20 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
has anyone grown the formosa lily seeds?
Mine are germinating........I am wondering if they will do anything this year?

Anyone have a photo/

thanks for looking. ters

#90080 February 23rd, 2007 at 06:41 AM
S
S
i havent done formosa lily seeds, but i have done lily of the nile, black berry lilys,and leopard lilys this winter from seeds, they all look pretty much the same. except the lily of the niles leave is much thiner. i dont know if lilys will bloom the first year, theres a thred in plant propagation on blooms the first year, you might try asking there,
good luck,

#90081 February 23rd, 2007 at 02:08 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
sibly

Thanks for the advice.. I am going to try my own lily seeds..(No name)
i did blackberryones.. They were a larger seed and did grow last summer and just got the first bloom , and the ole Frost killed it off......whaaaaaaa
Formosa looks lovely in photos....Someone sent those and I am game for anything different.
Thanks....
I will hunt the trend.

b

#90082 February 23rd, 2007 at 06:09 PM
Every thing I have read say that it is the one lily that will bloom first year from seed. So I think you have a good chance.

Also, I have seen on another board of people planting them from seeds and theirs bloomed first year and they were zone 5.

#90083 February 23rd, 2007 at 06:54 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Cinta ,

Your a real dear.........Thanks for the advice.
I never knew till now, that you can do that .
The Formosa seed is a flat paper type and the blackberry was a ball type of seed.

It grew too.

thanks I will let one know if it does bloom.

barb

#90084 February 26th, 2007 at 03:46 PM
you will get tufts of grassy foligy stuff it looks like them spider airplane plants & later in summer will start a stalk.they will be shorter the 1st year.maybe 3 ft but will be a lil taller after that.
If your stalks grow thin you'll need to stake them.I only had a few thin stalks.From what I remember.They took 2 weeks to germinate and was likely in the 50s mostly as I wintersowed them ,but had sown some in a flowerbed too.most we're single flowers and believe only 2 out of 50 seeds had 2 trumpets the 1st year.Not as tall in shadey area.They smell great when the brugs are not in flush.I'd definatly grow them at back of border.

I can't upload a photo right now as I'm multi tasking.but if you do a search on this forum you will see my photos from last year.Would need to go back to july/aug.

I saved a ton of seed to sow down the center strip of my hill.I have a 16 oz sour cream container filled for this project.Its 2005 seed.Still got 2006 seed for trade.I also sowed my seeds from my lollypop lilly.they look the same too.

#90085 February 26th, 2007 at 03:48 PM
you will get tufts of grassy foligy stuff it looks like them spider airplane plants & later in summer will start a stalk.they will be shorter the 1st year.maybe 3 ft but will be a lil taller after that.
If your stalks grow thin you'll need to stake them.I only had a few thin stalks.From what I remember.They took 2 weeks to germinate and was likely in the 50s mostly as I wintersowed them ,but had sown some in a flowerbed too.most we're single flowers and believe only 2 out of 50 seeds had 2 trumpets the 1st year.Not as tall in shadey area.They smell great when the brugs are not in flush.I'd definatly grow them at back of border.

I can't upload a photo right now as I'm multi tasking.but if you do a search on this forum you will see my photos from last year.Would need to go back to july/aug.

I saved a ton of seed to sow down the center strip of my hill.I have a 16 oz sour cream container filled for this project.Its 2005 seed.Still got 2006 seed for trade.I also sowed my seeds from my lollypop lilly.they look the same too.

#90086 February 26th, 2007 at 04:51 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks gang,

mine are about 3 inches tall indoors.

Never did these before..

Thanks for the info.

#90087 February 26th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
Hi folks, I also never did these before (I'm a real new boy any way) but I bought 50 seeds for next to nothing on eBay. Of course about 60-70 seeds arrived and I just put them in a standard house plant compost in a seed tray. LOL - I think every one of them germinated. The lady boss is not speaking to me because her (our) kitchen is full of 3 inch pots with (same as you dodge) 3 inch tall lily seedlings and not one of them seems to be damping off. Why have I put them in the kitchen? Because the rest of the house is full of other plants which can't go outside until May. One day my greenhouse will go up and then....
But the guy I bought the seeds off says they should flower this summer if that's any help to you dodge.

#90088 February 26th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise,

I hope ,I hope , I hope..

You sound like a good ole gardener....
tell the wife, spring will be here soon. Why dont you just swap seeds online ?
Or perhaps ebay is less postage.

What seed did you germinate/

dodge thumbup

#90089 February 26th, 2007 at 07:36 PM
Hi dodge,

I'm afraid I am not a good old gardener. I've just retired (very young) to a house by the sea with a large garden and suddenly got the bug. I've spent a year doing research and now consider myself one of the UK's best theoretical gardeners. Just don't come near me with that spade - LOL.
Actually my greenhouse is going up as soon as we get the jungle round the house cleared and the lady boss is not really being very stroppy.(UK word? Means objectionable.)
The seeds were sold to me as lilium formosanum and certainly look the part.

'The seed germinates in 2-3 weeks at room temperatures. plant out in rich, moist soil in full sun or the partial shade. It grows in temperate areas (zones 5-8) and can't tolerate temperatures below 25F/-3C. It can be grown in pots in colder areas so that you can take it inside to a basement or garage for the winter. Give plenty of fertilizer--liquid kelp and fish emulsion are good, and dress with composted cow manure. Protect it from rabbits, who enjoy eating it. You can make more plants by dividing the bulbs in the fall of the third year when the leaves have died down for the season, or if you don't pick the flowers, you can snap off the seed pods when they are ripe and plant the seeds.'

As for swapping. Firstly I'm in the UK and secondly the price of postage is more than the price of seeds so unless somebody offers it is not really worthwhile.

I would post a picture of my kitchen table but haven't worked out how to do that yet.

God bless you all. Really friendly site by the way.

#90090 February 26th, 2007 at 08:48 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise,

Least ways your webwise..ha ha flw

#90091 February 27th, 2007 at 10:19 AM
[Linked Image]

Well you did ask to see my photos but I thought that if I started posting photos of my office (full of palm seedlings) my rec room (full of climber seedlings) etc. I should start a new thread which would just bore people. So I've restrained myself and just put on a general view of my kitchen table, which is full of lily seedlings, that way at least I would fit in with your thread dodge.

I could post a close up of a seedling but they are not very imposing yet. I hope by summer they will be, but in my garden, not my kitchen. I will post a photo then.

Thanks for the photobucket instructions by the way.

John.

#90092 February 27th, 2007 at 02:07 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise

Thanks for showing off.. ha ha
Hey show us all that stuff.....We love to gock and maybe pick up pointers we never saw..

Show us ,Please.

We all need binders on here..Addicted to a good cause..............flowers ..

Make the photos Larger.......Us folks with glasses need it.

thanks gab

dodge

#90093 February 27th, 2007 at 04:08 PM
Dodge, if you click on the thumbnail picture you should get a blow up of the lilyings. (Or is that lilyets?). I think I did it right but it's over a year since I did any web design. I'll put some pictures on of some of my baby palms. In fact I really should take some for me but I'll start a new thread as that is certainly changing the subject. wink

#90094 February 27th, 2007 at 04:46 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise.

Hey, your correct...I click and it stick..Big.

Now I see your work..Good job..What I am using for the pots , are the Yogurt cups we eat here.Eat the yogurt wash and reuse. No expense.

Keep showing us......
Were you a web designer? Computer operator in UK/
Cool isnt this world of computer.

#90095 February 27th, 2007 at 06:44 PM
Just before we finish this thread (I think that's about it for lilies for now - but we can start another one) I thought I would show you a picture of the day lily (hemerocallis) I have just bought on eBay. I was actually outbid by 20p (35c) but fortunately it was somebody thinning their day lily out and I got a second chance offer. I think it is beautiful.

I shall start a new thread in the plants section in a few days (weather permitting) after I have taken some photos outside. And yes I was a web designer from the time the web was just a single strand.

[Linked Image]

#90096 February 27th, 2007 at 06:54 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
webwise......
Good buy.......Is that what it looks like right now?

ANy snow or is it spring there?

#90097 February 27th, 2007 at 07:31 PM
No. There are no flowers on it yet. In fact I have JUST bought it (an hour ago) from someone, who seems really nice, in Scotland. We have never had much snow in England but we do get frosts and just occasionally temperatures below freezing. But I have left some larger exotics out all winter in pots with a covering of hessian and/or bubble wrap which only goes on when the forecast is for frost (4 days so far this year). We have had no snow at all yet this winter. We aren't CA and certainly not FL but we are not as bad as a lot of people think for weather. Last year though I got caught right at the end of April when we had a hard frost (about 15*f - rare) on just one night. Not expected at all and I had just moved to the new house. I lost 4 valuable plants. which were in pots outside.

Still the new day lily is a large clump with 4 growing points so I'm looking forward to it.

#90098 March 6th, 2007 at 08:23 AM
S
S
dodge! i just relized your formosa lilies are toad lilies! thumbup i so love those!

#90099 March 6th, 2007 at 01:25 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
toad lilys?

Now I have to go look at a photo......

Hope I love them, they are growing ..Look like grass right now..
inside..
b

#90100 March 6th, 2007 at 04:21 PM
S
S
web page

toad lilies are a common name wink

#90101 March 6th, 2007 at 04:23 PM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
sibyl

I looked it up and it is gorgous........

Hope it grows well. They are still germinating..

#90102 March 7th, 2007 at 03:52 AM
S
S
wishing you the best of luck dodge!! they are awsome!

#90103 March 7th, 2007 at 07:01 AM
Now I am getting confused. The picture you show, dodge, is of true lilies - the species lilium. However the toad lily is the tricyritis which looks like a small lily but is actually a ......well tricyrtis. They are called toad lilies because during the Marcos regime in the Phillipines, the government tried to improve its international standing by discovering (sic) a tribe of neanderthal people living in the jungle. One of the nonsenses they perpetrated was that these 'lilies' made frogs sluggish and so made them easy to catch and eat. Thus they became known as toad lilies. It was a complete scam of course and I am sure you will find the full story if you google 'toad lily'. As I say I've read a book. However your picture is of lilium formosana not tricyrtis formosana or tricyrtis herta. (The Japanese toad lily which is a lighter purple.) Which your seeds may be I don't know but I suspect that they will be lilium, not tricyrtis. But if they are toads, they will all look like little purple orchids. The good news is they bring a good price on eBay - LOL. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard