This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90037 January 26th, 2007 at 06:07 PM
OP Offline
my husband dug me up a magnolia tree while he was out hunting and it is fairly small.
i have it in a 5 gal bucket with dirt and fertilizer in the house parked in the sun.
it doesn't seem to be growing much at all and yet it doesn't seem to be dying either.
i was wondering if i should put it out now or wait til spring and would it affect it any that he uprooted it in midwinter?

#90038 January 26th, 2007 at 06:55 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
It shouldn't be growing right now as it should be in it's winter dormant period, which is the best time to transplant it. I have dug trees during the winter and went ahead and put them in the ground immediately so they can be establishing a good root system before the heat of summer. I always add a good root stimulator when I plant it and water it well. It will probably put on a nice flush of new growth in the spring. I see you are LA--as in Los Angeles or Louisiana? I'm over here in Mississippi.

#90039 January 28th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
OP Offline
Actually Lower Alabama
So you are telling me to go ahead and take it out of the bucket and transplant it where i want it in the yard?
Its still close to freezing here and very rainy so rain makes it even more cold, and that type of climate is okay for me to change it to the actual ground outside?
It wouldn't stunt it or kill it or anything?

#90040 January 28th, 2007 at 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it will be fine. and, if you were able to get one to survive the dig up and put in the bucket, you have a keeper. they aren't very easy to do that with once they get larger.

where in la are you from? my gramma is in foley

#90041 January 28th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I agree with Jiffymouse--go ahead and put it in the ground now. If it's young enough to fit in a bucket it will survive all the better. BTW, my soon-to-be daughter-in-law lives over in Birmingham.

Link Copied to Clipboard