This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89961 March 17th, 2007 at 06:17 PM
Annell Offline OP
OP Offline
We are working on our ponds and one of them has what someone told my husband is Blanket Moss, I have searched the internet and can't find anything on Blanket Moss. Could someone please identify this plague that has attacked our pond? It gets in the pumps and clogs them up and is really not a good thing to have. Also, if you know what it is, how the heck do you get rid of it? We have 5 goldfish in the pond and they don't seem too interested in eating the stuff.
We need Help!
Thanks guys.
Happy spring Time!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#89962 March 18th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
string algae. it is a nuisance. but, if you have shade plants, it will go away. it needs sun to grow. it is annoying as all get out, but does help keep the amonias from the fish under control.

i grow water hiacynth and water lettuce to keep it out of my pond... and, if you look at latest my pond pics, you can see the difference the floating plants make.

#89963 March 18th, 2007 at 02:05 AM
Annell Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I will tell my husband but this stuff grows up under the Pickrel and elephant ear and unberella plants and cat tails. I have one lone lily in the pond.
So guess I need to invest in some more lilies or get some water lettuce?

#89964 March 18th, 2007 at 02:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
duckweed, water lettuce, parrots feather, all kinds of floating plants. check your local nursery that carries pond plants or even an aquarium store for floating plants. you don't want anything that has to be put in soil or a pot. did you look at my pond pics?

#89965 March 19th, 2007 at 01:08 AM
Annell Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes I did and it does look like the string algae.
I like how you got it set up. I would love to do something like that myself.

#89966 March 19th, 2007 at 02:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually, it isn't hard to do that way. if you have your pump running into a smaller container to "spill" into the larger one then that one spills into your pond. i used plant stands to create the right height and i sort of use the top one as a filter of sorts. you could really use it as a filter, if you checked out the filter instructions here in this section. you would have to search for them though. i don't remember where they are.

i'm thinking about doing that on my next pond.

#89967 March 19th, 2007 at 03:57 AM
Annell Offline OP
OP Offline
That sounds like it would be easy. Just have to find some containers of sorts. I would love to find an old water pump, you know the ones with the handle that you pump up and down to get water from a well.
I would like to hook that up to run water into a barrel of sorts and then from the barrel, have a spigot that remains open so that the water runs onto a rock ledge and then into the pond from there.
I think that would look so neat.

#89968 March 20th, 2007 at 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i have an old tea kettle with a hole in it that i want to use... just gotta get the next pond dug...

#89969 March 20th, 2007 at 05:49 PM
Annell Offline OP
OP Offline
It never ends does it? We already have two ponds and my husband is wanting to dig another one much larger than the two we have already. Our back yard will turn into fish ponds, lol.
He already had the liner and powerheads and plans on putting an undergravel filter, that is what we have in the pond that we don't have trouble with + a reg filter.
We will be in the poor house within the year.lol

Link Copied to Clipboard