This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#89704 September 23rd, 2006 at 09:24 AM
OP Offline
I've had a wonderful, large jade plant for about 4 years now. I got it as a 10 inch cutting from a friend - it already had a nice brown trunk, and has been growing very well. Well...... I put a new gardenia plant next to it this summer - I know they are prone to spider mites, but this one looked very healthy when I inspected it at the store. Fastforward 2 months, and the gardenia is COVERED in spider mites, as is the jade! eek ters eek

I took the gardenia away, and sprayed the other plants around it with rubbing alcohol. I also watered the plants. All the other plants are still doing well, but the jade had all these leaves on the floor below it 2 days ago! sca

[Linked Image]

So... did I overwater it? Or is it much more sensitive to the alcohol than the other plants? I am devastated!!! This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE plant, and it's so naked right now - it's even lost many more leaves since I took these pictures below 2 days ago...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#89705 September 23rd, 2006 at 09:37 AM
Oh no Lynne, that is just awful. I have no idea what may have caused that but I am so sorry the jade is doing so poorly. I hope it recovers.

Are you gong to try starting those leaves?

#89706 September 23rd, 2006 at 09:49 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Triss - the leaves were all soft and mushy! So I tossed them all - I do have some other leaves that are sprouting tiny babies now though - I'm just so disappointed because I've never had a jade grow so large and healthy for me before!

#89707 September 23rd, 2006 at 09:59 AM
hi sorry to but in like this, would you mind sharing with me how your got the leaves to sprout into plants? (if only I read this before I posted my question in the propagation forum)

#89708 September 23rd, 2006 at 10:06 AM
I hope you are able to save it, Lynne! It is a beautiful plant...

Dianna

#89709 September 28th, 2006 at 07:19 AM
Rubbing alchol......?

you killed it ......I never heard of such a thing.
An I am a farmer........Those sprays must be regulated............

I have one of those, but no problems.

Maybe if you can wash it off with warm water, it may revive it ........

Let us know.

dodge idea

#89710 September 28th, 2006 at 11:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't know what should be used for getting rid of spider mites.

i do know that rubbing alcohol will dissapate within a short time.

i also don't know if jades are overly sensitive to it.

rubbing alcohol is standard treatment for many things. usually spot treatments (with a q-tip soaked in the alcohol) to the bugs themselves. i've heard is suggested to spray with it if the infestation is bad. usually a mix of the alcohol and water.

lynne, did you use straight rubbing alcohol or did you mix it with water? if straight, gently washing it down - a drop of a really mild soap in a bucket of water and then wipe down with clear water may help. also, if soil was affected - which may be the case if you soaked the jade really well, you might want to repot it in fresh soil.

it's a well established plant. some tender loving care should help it bounce back. i hope so!! i just love them and that one is a real beauty!!

#89711 September 28th, 2006 at 04:31 PM
Lynne, sorry about your lovely jade, I'm just getting into jades myself and have been reading how susceptible they are to rot. I honestly don't think your rubbing alcohol had anything to do with it, but maybe overwatering. Check out this link Bill\'s advice on jade rot.

Best of luck to you!

#89712 October 4th, 2006 at 08:42 PM
T
T
Lynne, wow... that's a heartbreaker... But you know what? I'm guessing the alcohol has not killed your jade but has made it a bit ill, especially if you've washed alcohol down into the soil when you watered. I feel your pain, I really do!

There have been times over the years that mine have thrown hissy fits when their environment has been changed, e.g., moved or sprayed with something. But jades are hardy and I don't believe this one's headed to jade heaven!

I would take soft cloth soaked in mild soapy water and gently wipe off every leaf. This arduous task is worth the effort. Be sure it's not in the sun when you do this. If you can get it outside and tip it on its side or leave it upright and cover the soil, spray hose it down, getting the underside as well.

Lift it out of the pot and look for rot. If it's very wet, set it on newspaper for a day or two to wick out excess water. I would also replace the top 2 inches of soil with new.

Your jade may take a couple of months to recover and it may lose many more leaves, but it will come back with new growth, not to worry!

In a few weeks, pinch out the new leaves at the end of the stems to encourage growth elsewhere. I would take out the babies at soil level and move them into pots of their own.

kennyso: Leaves can simply be put in potting soil and eventually, they will root. Better to take at least a 2-leafer on a stem - will root much much better. That's my experience anyway smile

Lynne, post back with picture soon smile

#89713 October 5th, 2006 at 12:04 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Joclyn, mel, and Tomacco!

I did use a pretty strong solution of the alcohol, in water. I do agree, and believe that it got overwatered - whether it was with the alcohol, or water. It has lost many more leaves, and I cut off many of the long, skinny stems. I've planted 1/2 of them already, after letting them scar over for a few days - they are doing well. I will do the others today or tomorrow. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions and concern.

Dodge - don't you think this was a bit harsh?!? Duh
(sorry about the very poor pictures!)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(I am editing my own post here, after reading Bill's section on jade pests -
thanks, mel!!!)

Apparently I have confused mealy bugs with spider mites in this instance - my bad!
(used up all 8 graemlins, or I'd post the embarassed one here. I DO know the difference, and the gardenia definitely had the webs and teensy spiders. So, I assumed the jade was the same - but that's even worse now - there were 2 different pests all over the plants. Waaah...)

And, to quote Bill...
Mealy bugs will be evident by their white cotton like covering. They are usually found in stem axis areas, or on the underside of leaves. If there are only a few, dip a q-tip in alcohol , and use it to remove the insect and cocoon. If it is a major infestation, it might be best to discard the plant.
Life goes on... wink

#89714 October 5th, 2006 at 12:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lynne, i'm VERY glad to hear and see (thx for the pics) that that beautiful jade is hanging in there AND sprouting new growth!!!

maybe a real pruning off the tops of the branches (instead of just pinching the newest growth) will do more to help stimulate new growth along the lower parts of the branches? not a major pruning...just an inch or so should be enough.

as upsetting as this was - to the plant and yourself - i think the jade will (eventually) be a much more bushy and beautiful plant!! it's just going to take some extra attention and care and time for that to happen smile

yes, we all make mistakes...and, hopefully, we learn from them and don't repeat them. i'm glad you posted about this...it's a good learning experience for all of us when dealing with bugs on our jades!

#89715 October 5th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
T
T
Nice job on the pruning smile And about those harsh comments... I went back and read them as if the speaker had just inhaled helium. Pretty funny!

#89716 October 5th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
OP Offline
Tomacco - you are hysterical! [Linked Image]
Thanks so much for adding levity and laughter to my day!

joclyn - I actually have cut off pieces that were 5-6 inches long already!!! That's how leggy and barren the branches had become. I do think I will cut it back some more, so it can fill out more as you have suggested. I wanted to see if it still had life to it, before I wasted my time. I think I'll wait just a few weeks before doing so, as the sun will be lower in the sky then, and the plant will get more through the sliding glass doors, to hopefully help perk it up more.

Thanks for being so supportive, you two! kissies

#89717 October 5th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
Tomacco

I am the so called harsh speaker, I didnt inhale helium.............

Sorry if you thought it was harsh I will inform the moderators of this.

dodge

#89718 October 5th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lynne, looks like you are doing something right now, since it is shooting out babies. and if any of the cuttings or leaves are rooting, you definitly did something right. I'd just say you got in too big of a hurry to "help" your baby!

#89719 October 5th, 2006 at 05:21 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
lynne, looks like you are doing something right now, since it is shooting out babies. and if any of the cuttings or leaves are rooting, you definitly did something right. I'd just say you got in too big of a hurry to "help" your baby!
Thanks, Jiffy! kissies
I think you are right - I went a bit overboard in trying to get rid of all of the pests I saw that day. Now I'll know to not be quite as agressive next time thumbup

#89720 October 7th, 2006 at 02:59 AM
OP Offline
Todays update...

I potted up some of the cuttings today. While I was down there, I took another good look at mamma and decided it was time to take the pruners to her again - severely this time. Duh I ended up taking another 19 cuttings off - don't ask me where I'm gonna put all these?!? clp I just hope she grows as full and glorious as she was when this all started!

#89721 October 7th, 2006 at 04:17 AM
T
T
Oh, gosh, I need a drink... Can I get back to you?

#89722 October 7th, 2006 at 04:37 AM
OP Offline
Do I interpret that to mean it's too upsetting to look at? Duh

#89723 October 7th, 2006 at 04:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, boy!! talk about going on a diet!!! laugh

have you thought about grouping 3 or 4 of the cuttings together? you could stagger the heights and place them close together so that it would like it was one plant...

i'd be willing to send you something in trade for a few of the cuttings...if you think they would travel through the post office well, that is!

since it's obviously got some new growth happening and you didn't take off all the green stuff i think she'll bounce back just fine...

i would just continue with the TLC for the moment...she's had a really good trim - now let her get re-situated. it will be slow going until she's as full as she was before this happened. it'll happen tho, i'm sure of it!

#89724 October 7th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
T
T
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Do I interpret that to mean it's too upsetting to look at? Duh
'Twas a shock the first time your photo came up on the screen. Second time around and I'm still in b-fib. But don't worry wink 3 more drinks and she should loooookk juusstt ffahn smile Joclyn's right. Just TLC for a few months. Where do you keep yer pruners? I'm coming to get them. smile (just kidding!)

#89725 October 7th, 2006 at 05:26 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Joclyn - that's just what I planned on doing! thumbup

I do pot at least 3 of them up together each time, always have. I'd never have enough room for all the plants I do, if I didn't do that.

I'd be glad to send you some cuttings, but I was afraid to offer any because the plant had the mealy bugs, which was the beginning of all my problems here. I have sent some cuttings in the mail before - I usually use a small box for them. Let me know what you think... I doused the cuttings with soapy water after I cut them, because I did want to use them, so hopefully that took care of any residual critters. They are drying out, and scaring over now. Again... let me know...

By the way... do you ever come up this way?
I'm about 2 hours from Philly.
Are you thinking of going to Wrennie's summer camp GH get together in the Catskills?

#89726 October 7th, 2006 at 05:30 AM
OP Offline
Tomacco - you have noooooooooo idea how badly I needed those chuckles right now!!! Duh

Are you thinking of going to Wrennie's summer camp get together also?

#89727 October 7th, 2006 at 06:03 AM
Lynne, she may look a lil naked now, but once she starts to grow back, you are going to have a much fuller and healthier plant!!!

#89728 October 7th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
smile I would LOVE cool to take one of the cuttings off your hands, Lynne. thumbup

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard