This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89624 February 18th, 2007 at 04:30 AM
Very nicely done Patty. And it , what, only took you 2-3 hours to write it? grinnnn

#89625 February 18th, 2007 at 04:31 AM
It really is a good job, Wanna do mine?

#89626 February 18th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
She can do mine after Tina's!!! kissies smile lala

#89627 February 18th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
If it weren't for all the distractions I had, thumbup

I wish the thermometer on the shed door would have shown up better! It had started cooling down when I took the pic... 63*! shk

#89628 February 18th, 2007 at 05:06 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Patty S:
OK ladies, bring those garden sheds on over & I'll get right on it!! grinnnn (It actually wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be, once I got started!
Mine would be Mwhahahahahahah dev hahahahahha,
You have nooooooooooooo idea shk shk shk
what you'd be getting yourself into organizing mine... wink laugh eek

#89629 February 18th, 2007 at 05:12 AM
Ahhhemmm... I don't have a problem throwing away other people's treasures!! [Linked Image]
I could fix your mightmare in no time! p laugh

#89630 February 18th, 2007 at 05:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
hehehehehee..

Yeah, but could you find your way to the other end of it, that's what I would be curious about...

'Especially when you throw it to the curb,
and I'm like "HEYYYYYY, LOOKIE~LOOKIE WHAT I JUST FOUND IN THE GARBAGE..." hahahhaa..
Vicious cycle it would be... wink laugh

#89631 February 18th, 2007 at 06:18 AM
Too bad we can't find one of those 9 cubic yard dumpsters "just laying around", to put our good stuff in! We could spend all our time inside 1 of those, rediscovering! [Linked Image] (I see those all the time, but they look like they'd be hard to move ...& impossible to hide, to avoid prosecution!) eek

Soooo... the secret is to consolidate all that stuff! Believe it or not, even with most of those pots & trays & buckets nested inside each other, they didn't all fit on top of the picnic table at once, but I got every one of them stacked neatly in a 2' X 2' X 6' space! (DON'T ask me how that works... must be a physics thing!) Duh

It also cuts waaaayyy back on the comments & the "looks" from you-know-who!! [Linked Image] I think I actually detected a smile, when he saw what I did!
(He didn't have to drive to the dump!) [Linked Image]

#89632 February 22nd, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Originally posted by ksgardnr:
Will styrofoam cartons work if I poke little holes in the bottom? (I buy eggs from a farmer here & have tons of styrofoam egg cartons.) [/QB]
according to one book I have... "Vinegar, Duct Tape, Milk Jugs & More, 1,001 Ingenious ways to use common household items to Repair, Restore, Revive, or Replace just about everything in your life" you can use those styrofoam cartons, cut the tops off and put them under the egg carton to help catch water. Also suggest that drying egg shells and planting your seeds in them is usefull. When time for transplanting comes around plant your seedlings egg shell and all for the added calcium.

#89633 March 7th, 2007 at 06:01 AM
A
A
I've recently found that Heinz ketchup comes in a squeeze bottle with a mess proof lid that makes for a perfect watering can. It's more of a watering jet than can but it fills my smaller watering implements very quickly and it's nice for watering the larger stuff around the house. Once you are done squeezing the bottle the water stops instantly also, which is great if you want to be precise with it.

I got another, bigger (32 oz. vs. 64 oz.), bottle of ketchup a couple days ago, that didn't have the neat lid on it, I'm hoping that the lids are interchangable. They look to be the same size...

#89634 March 8th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
What a great idea....I hadnt thought of using and empty ketchup bottle like that before...and wouldnt you know it...i just threw out a squeeze bottle the other day laugh laugh thumbup

#89635 March 8th, 2007 at 05:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I use the Ketch~up containers as "Squirt~Guns"
for the kids..
***I reallyyyyyyyyyy dispise guns, and children pointing them at people without a care or thought to it, and I know I am wierd, or maybe anal about it, but it drives me nutzzz***

so, I get a big 60qt containers, fill with water, then get a bunch of those ketchup bottles, and let the boys, fill and squeeze away..
***I keep my pancake syrup bottles too***

and of course you need tons' of them, so someone can sit and fill while they alllllllll squirt... wink laugh laugh thumbup

#89636 March 8th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Aighead,
I never thought about those as watering cans like,
but you gave me a great idea too,
just like I do above for the boys and squirt guns,
I could keep another tub in my greenhouse,
fill that with water and then just suck up the water with them
and do my seedlings' trays' ....

#89637 March 8th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
Thats a great idea for the kids too Weezie....again i wouldnt have thought of using them for that thumbup thumbup

#89638 March 9th, 2007 at 10:12 PM
A
A
The no mess cap is really the key, if you can find it, it's great! You could hold it upside down forever and it doesn't leak unless you squeeze it.

#89639 March 19th, 2007 at 01:55 PM
Hi everyone, I reuse baby food jars and any other type of jars. I like to keep the lids for them as well. I make snow globes from the jars with their lids. Buy some craft glitter from the dollar store. Take silicone glue and glue on a small figurine into the inside of the lid.(like the ones they have out at Christmas time at the dollar stores). Then sprinkle some sparkles into the jar and add water, screw back on the top after the glue has dried and voila and instant snow globe.
I also recycle my coffee cans buy using them outside for my husbands butts, because he is a smoker. The recycled coffee cans also hold grease drippings and I recently found they hold the tabs off of pop cans too. I collect pop can tabs because there's a program to donate these to some kind of place that takes them and people that are handicapped get a wheelchair. I also reuse my meat trays for underneath my seedling plants. Egg cartons are good for craft ideas for kids school projects. And cereal boxes are good for kids on a rainy day when they have nothing to do, they make village scenes with them. My husband used to work at our local paper mill, till it shut down, so he would bring home stub paper rolls. These are great for making banners for birthdays etc...
As for the plastic lids from the coffee cans, I keep those after they have been washed because they come in handy for reusing to cover other cans. Example, when I buy my groceries, I buy a large can (about the size of the coffee can), of pasta sauce, but when I open the pasta sauce with the can opener there's no lid so I grab a plastic coffee can lid that fits nicely on top and I store the unused pasta sauce in the fridge.
I could probally go on and on with the recycled items I use. My daughter and I really like to do a lot of crafts, so you can just imagine.

#89640 March 19th, 2007 at 02:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Those are great.
Thanks!!!! thumbup cool clp

Have you ever seen those Christmas trees' with the baby food jars, they glue them together in the shape of a Christmas tree.... then stick in
a set of those 100 tiny (mini) Christmas tree lights you can get for a $1.00 at the Dollar tree stores.. and stick them inside the jars,
and it looks like a lit up Christmas tree...
*you can also put a wooden board on the back of it and drill holes in it to keep it all stablized..

#89641 March 19th, 2007 at 02:38 PM
More fantastic ideas!!!!

#89642 March 19th, 2007 at 03:22 PM
I use the plastic dish soap bottles to water plants with...just about the same as using the Ketchup bottles.

#89643 March 21st, 2007 at 10:45 AM
OK. This is fun.
I used to warm up my seeds before I could afford a heat mat. I did this at my parents' house when I was younger. I had a desk with an underneath crossbar and our heat vents were in the floor. So... I would put my flats with the domes on them around the vent register with the desk over the top. Then I would arrange an old blanket over the crossbar with the edges folded tight to the flat edges so no heat would escape. My mom just shook her head like I was crazy. :rolleyes: It didn't generate enough heat to be a fire hazard or anything but it did raise the temp of the flats above the ambient air temp. about 10 degrees and give the seeds extra warmth to really get them going... flw

I haven't used recyclables for growing in a while, but it sounds like fun now that you mention it.
I always liked the idea of using strange hollow items that are aesthetically pleasing as outdoor pots: old boots, vases, buckets, a blender container you find beautiful... a lot of this stuff can originate from a garage sale.

#89644 March 21st, 2007 at 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GreenPhill:
Then I would arrange an old blanket over the crossbar with the edges folded tight to the flat edges so no heat would escape. My mom just shook her head like I was crazy. :rolleyes: It didn't generate enough heat to be a fire hazard or anything but it did raise the temp of the flats above the ambient air temp. about 10 degrees and give the seeds extra warmth to really get them going... flw
Great idea!!!! I know that look of :rolleyes: I get it all the time from hubby and friends when I show them my newest project! laugh

#89645 March 22nd, 2007 at 05:59 AM
My daughter gave me a crazy look today when she found out I re-used the container my crossiants came in. I re-used it by making a portable greenhouse. The container was clear moulded plastic. Great with the lid closed for a greenhouse effect.

#89646 March 22nd, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I use the containers' that the cherry tomatoes
come in.. I use a ton of them, for my husband's lunches.. he gets a salad every dayyyyyyyy...
*I go thru a boat load of them*

But I save them, and use them in the elementary classes to start seeds in...

***I also re~use them when I am picking my own
cherry tomatoes when they are ripening..
and the container is really great too when I'm delivering cherry tomatoes to the neighbors too..***

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard